Thread: Cut motor stops during carve

Default Cut motor stops during carve

Just a few minutes into a new carve: max depth .125" in pine using 1/16" carve bit- the cut motor wound down to a stop while the Y-axis kept dragging the bit across the surface. Never saw this before.
    Flexshaft cool and rotates smoothly, rotating the chuck rotates the motor, cut sensor shows rotation (I got it up from 1 thru to 4).
    Checked the Troubleshooting Guides- no help there.
    Machine is well maintained- free of debris with grounded dust collection.
    Machine is a new CX under warranty bought earlier this year- servo time 108hrs, cut motor time 105.5hrs, running designer 2 latest.
    Any ideas?
    Clarification: I should have said "Cut motor STOPPED during carve".... not "stops"....

UPDATE: Machine was OFF while making above entry, I then attempted to try to re-do the whole setup, during initialization the spindle didn't spin when LOAD BIT procedure was going on, now I have a "Check Cut Motor" error message.

If you push down a little on the right hand side of clear cover (opposite keypad), will the cut motor then work?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Cover sensor check shows "closed".
    It is my understanding that NO motors should work if the cover is open...yet the Y-axis is still running.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    If you push down a little on the right hand side of clear cover (opposite keypad), will the cut motor then work?

There are two cover switches. The one on the right just stops the motor and the computer does not know. Your DC could be holding up the cover a little on the right side. That is why lynnfrwd said to push down the cover.

OK I'll give it a shot- even tho it WAS running then it stopped. Would that give me a "check cut motor" error message?

It's been quite a while since I had to t'shoot switches, forgot each switch has a different purpose and supplies signals to different circuits.
    I had added some tape to better seal the dust collector edge gaps- that had to have been it.
    It was running all right before (with the added tape), then it stopped, musta been on a hairline trigger to quit.
    Seems to be running fine now, thanks to lynnfrwd and bergerud.
    Once again, THANKS GUYS !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    There are two cover switches. The one on the right just stops the motor and the computer does not know. Your DC could be holding up the cover a little on the right side. That is why lynnfrwd said to push down the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcutty View Post
    Would that give me a "check cut motor" error message?
    The check motor message comes when the motor does not spin up as fast as the computer expects. In your case it makes sense since it did not spin!

Just saw it Stalled... I answered with the last thread not knowing it stalled...

Here is a trick I use... It is called a "Seat Belt"... Masking Tape applied on the cover when it is 1/4 open and when fully down it pulls the clear cover to the switch...

I have a "Cranky" left switch... In review... The Left Switch talks to the computer and tells when the cover is open AND can be monitored on the LCD like you did.

The Right Switch is wired into the Return Path of the Cut Motor and prevents the Cut Motor from starting when you have the cover open and your fingers on the bit... NEVER bypass either switch... (My opinion)

The Wiring from the Cut Motor is Black Hot from the X Termination Board to Black of the Cut Motor. White Return from the X Termination Board to EITHER Wire of the Right Safety Switch either Black or White.... It's just in and out... The Out of the Safety Switch to the White of the Cut Motor...

The CRIMP Connectors have been know to come loose OR the Crimp is not tight enough.

How Many Cut Hours?

If you have the latest Designer they have a Cut Motor Test....

Here is a picture of my dusty machine cutting the 50th hour of wood handles for my Fire Project... 80 handles... Over 1/2 done cutting.

The Seat Belt will work for both switches... or sides...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02537_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-09-2014 at 03:01 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com