Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/8" vs 1/16" carving bits

Quote Originally Posted by pqkenai View Post
    This is all good stuff. Next, when would I use a 90 degree bit & when a 60 degree? What are the pros & cons of each?
    I use the 90 degree on larger letters with wider strokes, and the 60 degree on smaller letters with thinner strokes. Centerline will limit the depth of cut, so this only makes sense. That is, with the 90 degree bit you can cut a wider stroke with out hitting the depth limit. My typical process is to stain Centerline lettering with a darker stain, or use a spray ink, then sand away the overspray. A 60 degree bit cut is more tolerant of removing material - if you remove too much, the lettering is misshapened and/or the thinner strokes shrink or disappear.

Got it. Thanks.

So, just to be clear, so I don't blow up my machine, I can use a 3/16" carving bit on same material that the 1/16" will do [spruce, in my case].

Quote Originally Posted by pqkenai View Post
    So, just to be clear, so I don't blow up my machine, I can use a 3/16" carving bit on same material that the 1/16" will do [spruce, in my case].
    Yes but, you will lose some detail. The 3/16" bit is best used on patterns that do not have a lot of intricate detail.
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12