Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: first furniture project

Default first furniture project

Very new to CW so still feeling my way out on what and how I can use it. My wife asked me to do a chest for my step daughter so I thought a nice cedar chest would go nicely in her room. She is really into beach stuff so I thought to add a few decorative carvings on the lid. Realize now after the fact I should have scaled up the carvings a lot further. The wife loved it and I hope the child appreciates it later. This was not fine woodworking. I used screws and slapped it together in about 8 hours but still really like how it came out. I love to apply the poly and see what Santa brought me in the color of the grain. Solid cedar construction through out.

By the way...thanks to all the artists that provided the carvings in the pattern trade section. Still figuring how to do good patterns but will reciprocate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cedar chest.JPG   cedar chest top.JPG  

That's a nicely made chest and I'm sure she will love it. Well done
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Real nice work for a first furniture job. Cedar always looks great for projects. I am sure she will be very please to have a home made chest.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Beautiful work. I'm afraid furniture building is not in my blood. Gave up trying years ago.

Very nice work, doesn't look slapped together at all.

If you put this together in 8 hours, you should see some of my work. Even after 8 hours I'm still in the cutting phase. It looks great
    and you should be very proud of your work, I know she will love it.

Starting to get a better feel for the machine. Was more comfortable in using some of my good wood. Small chest made out of purple heart lumber. Top and sides are carved flowers and legs have carved rosettes. Copper nails for decoration. Thank you to the carvewright family for the rosette pattern. I love working with padauk, purple heart and black walnut. I was worried it would have problems with carving into the purple heart but absolutely no issues. The flowers are 2d photos post processed with Corel photopaint and imported to carvewright designer. Very pleased with the outcome. When you don't have a plan and just start cutting, you always get a surprise present in the end. I had an idea in my head when I started and this is nothing like it. lol.

My next surprise present to myself is a mantel clock in purple heart with carvings for the top and sides. Still haven't made the designs but it will be different. I am thinking steam punk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails purple heart chest.jpg   purple heart chest 2.jpg  

Very nice box. Steam Punk for a clock.... that should be quite different. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Both projects you have posted are outstanding. You are clearly a gifted person. Looking forward to seeing the finished clock.

Just a quick update on my steam punk clock project. Ordered the mechanical clock mechanism and chime rods and when they arrived realized I forgot to order the hands for it. That and a lot of work have slowed down my hobby productivity. But I dedicated all of today to carving all the pieces I wanted and very pleased with the results. I messed up on the circular cut since I didn't use a sled and rushed it. I will have to figure out how to do cuts correctly in the future. Had a small scare as i kept getting clear board sensor error after two cuts. After a detail cleaning and messing with it noticed some of the connections had come loose. Pushed the connectors back in and back to cutting. I will start assembling tomorrow. I don't have the very cool rotary tool but I have a 4 ft lathe so will be turning the front posts tomorrow morning. My hope is to have it half completed by tomorrow (main wood construction portion). I will still have some bling to add to it. I want to add some leather highlights. I bought several packages of brass and copper tacks for interest. I am looking forward to see the final clock. It is always a surprise when I finish a piece. I usually start with a rough plan and improvise when things invariably go south. You never know what will come out but it also usually comes out cool. Only occasionally do I create extra fire wood.

A big thanks to whoever built the chaos symbol I got from the forum repository. It will take the center piece of the clock.

Chip, hope you get back into furniture building. It has provided a lot of interesting opportunities for me to grow and to expand my tool selection. I only own a piece or two I have built but my kids, family and friends have pieces that will remind them of me hopefully long after I am gone. Though I am keeping this one. They can get it after I am gone.

I'll post the finished piece when complete. Happy sawdust making.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mantel clock parts.jpg  

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast