Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cutpath problem

Default cutpath problem

I seem to have x direction shift on the second pass of cut path on 2different
    projects. see attached. I was there both times, because it cut into project while I was not there
    wasted a 3 hr. carve.
    Is it possible the cutting bit is getting worn that far up on the bit. I do 1/3 pass on a 3/4" board.
    attached are the pictures and the project.
    Please feel free to play around with the mpc.
    Any help would be great.

Perry B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutpath problem 051914 001 (600 x 450).jpg   cutpath problem 051914 003 (600 x 450).jpg   cutpath problem 051914 002 (600 x 450).jpg   cutpath problem 051914 004 (600 x 450).jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Your boards do not seem to have the 3.5" on each end to stay under the rollers. Are you using a jig with the 3.5" in it? Looks like it lost tracking after popping out from under rollers or check outfeed trays to make sure they are lined up correctly.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I used the option 2, not to stay under the rollers both time, could this have cause that problem.
    the boards were just enough to fit the projects.
    My Shop 1044

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    the fool to the left."

Quote Originally Posted by myshop1044 View Post
    I used the option 2, not to stay under the rollers both time, could this have cause that problem.
    the boards were just enough to fit the projects.
    That would be my guess.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I can tell from the line on the carve that you did not stay under the rollers. In my experience, the effort of pushing up the roller while cutting causes either the board to slip on the belts or the belts to slip on the belt rollers (I have not done an experiment to determine which). The brass tracking roller data is used to make small tracking corrections while routing. If, however, the discrepancy is too large (belt slip for example), the brass roller data is ignored and the x encoder taken as the only reference. The cut will then be off by the amount slipped.

For accurate routing, head pressure, staying under the rollers, a sharp bit, and a healthy x drive system are all important.

And if you carve it again, make sure you spell "Reunion" properly

Thank you for your input, my over site.
    This brings up a good question. What is option 2 for(don't stay under the rollers)?
    When do you use this feature? If it can cause the problems I saw.
    maybe I missed something, I have always used stay under the rollers and this time I had about 2 extra inches
    in scrap wood to use.
    any input would be helpful.
    Perry B.
    My Shop 1044

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    the fool to the left."

This brings up a good question. What is option 2 for(don't stay under the rollers)?
    maybe I missed something, I have always used stay under the rollers and this time I had about 2 extra inches
    in scrap wood to use.
    Perry B.
    I'm sure there are many instances where the project doesn't need to stay under the rollers. I use the Carvewright to cut out 1/8" clear plastic templates for my lathe duplicator. I make the actual board (plastic) just slightly larger than the project and it really doesn't matter if one end pops up a little. It's just a shallow vector cutout.

EDIT: In fact, for most of my carves I use the option to "Not Stay Under The Rollers" and "Center Project On Board". Then I make the actual board 7 -8" longer than the project.
    Steve

in scrap wood to use.
    Perry B.
    If you select "stay under rollers" the machine will add 7" to your projects size and if your board is not at least 7" longer you either have to scale the carving or load a new board.

Saying "NO" the machine is only looking for a board at least the size of your project. The trick is to always have a board, add on pieces, sled, carrier board or rails so that you are at least 7" longer than your project so that you will still be under the rollers to prevent tipping and maintain good contact with the tracking sensor.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

9:00 PM... Just getting to my computer and you guys have all the right answers.... so to recap...

The 7 inch rule of wood... Say YES to Stay Under rollers and don't have 7 extra inches of Physical Wood Longer than Designer Length then it will TAKE it from the Designer Length and Scale The Project....

But Here it looks like since the wood was only being held by ONE Roller, the wood lifted and lost contact with the roller....

It's ALL About the Brass Roller... Once the board looses contact, the board is OUT of POSITION and will never recover...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast