Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot resolve Cover Open - wiring checked, new switch installed

Unhappy Cannot resolve Cover Open - wiring checked, new switch installed

Despite my best efforts my machine continues to give me fits. After running for a while I started getting "Cover Open" error messages. I checked the switch and wiring and found no visible issues so I removed the switch following the directions from the LR website. The switch tested OK on a multimeter but I decided to order a replacement anyway. When the new switch arrived I installed it and then ran a sensor test which showed "Open" no matter what I did with the switch. A search of the forum indicated that I should check for pinched wires, seating of the 14-pin cable and any damage to that cable, and the wiring of the switch. I checked all of these and couldn't find anything visibly wrong. At this point I have the new switch in the machine but no matter what I do I get a continuous "Cover Open" message preventing me from doing anything with the machine.

Is there anything I've missed or overlooked that might help resolve this situation? I checked the wiring back to the cut motor and couldn't find any problems, the switch is new and activating it by hand doesn't remove the "Cover Open" message. I need to run a small job and I'm running out of time given how long I've been troubleshooting this issue.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Larry

Check the pins on the board where the wires from the switch plugs in. I had bent one of them and that caused the closed cover for me. I carefully bent it back and it stills works to this day.

Assuming the piece of plastic that operates the switch is intact and if the switch is positioned
    to where you can hear it close when the cover is lowered then the problem would seem to be elsewhere.
    Did you check for a bent/broken pin on the circuit board where that plug fits? Mike beat me!

I don't know if the switch is NO or NC, knowing that would help you trouble-shoot.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLesniak View Post
    Despite my best efforts my machine continues to give me fits. After running for a while I started getting "Cover Open" error messages. I checked the switch and wiring and found no visible issues so I removed the switch following the directions from the LR website. The switch tested OK on a multimeter but I decided to order a replacement anyway. When the new switch arrived I installed it and then ran a sensor test which showed "Open" no matter what I did with the switch. A search of the forum indicated that I should check for pinched wires, seating of the 14-pin cable and any damage to that cable, and the wiring of the switch. I checked all of these and couldn't find anything visibly wrong. At this point I have the new switch in the machine but no matter what I do I get a continuous "Cover Open" message preventing me from doing anything with the machine.

Is there anything I've missed or overlooked that might help resolve this situation? I checked the wiring back to the cut motor and couldn't find any problems, the switch is new and activating it by hand doesn't remove the "Cover Open" message. I need to run a small job and I'm running out of time given how long I've been troubleshooting this issue.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Larry
    Did you check the switch on the other side of the cover? Also, try bypassing both switches, one at a time. It could also be the X termination board. I would replace the wire to the switch and the x-termination board. The problem is that the shipping will cost as much as the parts and take several days.
    Steve

Check to make sure you have the cover switch (switch on key board side of the cover) wire plugged in correctly. It is easy to get it turned upside down. I believe the white wire is on the top right as you are looking into the machine.

Also try moving/flexing the FFC cable while holding the cover switch in the closed position. Look for any indication of a crack or split in the FFC cable. Most often it is right at the black support bracket in the back.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Have you or anyone else ever changed the board sensor? The wire can ground out inside the carriage and the result is the continuous close cover message. You could try disconnecting it at the top where it connects under the z motor. (near the FFC ribbon wire connection.)

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Have you or anyone else ever changed the board sensor? The wire can ground out inside the carriage and the result is the continuous close cover message. You could try disconnecting it at the top where it connects under the z motor. (near the FFC ribbon wire connection.)
    Making Al proud!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I was going to say that, if it turns out to be the case, Al gets the credit!

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Making Al proud!!
    Thanks Guys.... And the next most possible thing.... The Left Cover Switch PLUG is plugged in 180 degrees out... White Wire in the bundle needs to face the center of the machine....

And like posted above, un plug the board sensor cable upper plug... Did close cover go away? IF so pinched wire.... Doing a Butt Floss with the cable with both ends un plugged can help dis lodge the pinch for a temp fix if that is it... But my money is on 180 out plug..

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08528.JPG   DSC08492_WEB.jpg   DSC08510_WEB.jpg   DSC08502_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I had the same problem quite a while ago, and bypassed the switch while I waited for a new one to arrive. I decided to keep the switch bypassed after I received the replacement because I can keep the door open when centering the bit on a board. It is much easier to see into the machine with the door open rather than closed, and as long as you close the door immediately when you are done, it is still safe. The door has two switches. One for the Open Door Error, and the other one for the Cut Motor. I bypassed the Door Error Switch (closest to the Keypad). Just remove the faulty switch and twist the wires together to form a closed circuit continuously. Make sure to seal the exposed wires so a short can not occur. If you bypass the Cut Motor Switch the Machine could operate with the door open. This could be unsafe. The white wire should be facing toward the inside of the machine, and make sure the wire is plugged in at the other end on the Circuit Board Side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast