Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More questions than answers

Default More questions than answers

I seen Dan's (Bergerud) bowl that he give as a example to someone today I did the carve and didn't like the way the outside edges didn't line up, but Dan struck again... He made me start thinking, so I made what I wanted for three boards on top of one another 2.25 thick. Question #1 how do I get the file into the STL folder..#2 How is the feather made for each board for the cut out...I get these two ? answered and I'm going to get this 3-d going to do the minor things and start learning how to do gimp to keep stepping up.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Answer #1. Why do you want to take it into STL?

#2. Cut outs can only go 1" deep so you can not cut out on this.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

#1...I thought by putting it into the STL files that I could slice them into .75 thick to make the bowl and do the cut outs
    Last edited by aokweld101; 05-13-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Floyd you can see what I want to do, could you please tell me what I have to do to get it that way. If I can do it at all.. Thanks

I just threw that example together to demonstrate a concept. I have not carved it myself. It should have worked out. What went wrong? What did not line up?

If you want to create an STL from a pattern, you can double click on the pattern in the favorites list to open it in the pattern editor. Then export as STL. There is really no reason, however, to do this unless you want to use the STL in another program. (You would be just going around in a loop??)

There was no feather. I made the files in 1.187 and so when opened in 2.005, the patterns get the floor feather by default. It has to be turned off.

Dan, the outside edges had no feather they where stair stepped anywhere up to .75 on each slice and I didn't turn off the feather I read it on the forum but didn't implement it...I didn't even think of it..

It still leaves me with the question how do I do it ?

I have gotten the front side but not the back into the stl file how do I get the backside included and get the front and back as one complete pattern

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I have gotten the front side but not the back into the stl file how do I get the backside included and get the front and back as one complete pattern
    The STL is a thin (mathematical) surface. It has a front and a back. You choose which side to carve when you make patterns in the STL importer.

(Try turning of the floor feather on the original file. (Checkbox beside the conform box) It is an important thing to understand.)

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    #1...I thought by putting it into the STL files that I could slice them into .75 thick to make the bowl and do the cut outs
    Maybe this will help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast