Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ivac switch and Contactor

Default Ivac switch and Contactor

For those who are looking for a solution to auto-starting and stopping a high volume dust collector such as the 2 HP Harbor Freight DC (20 amp) try this:

http://www.ivacswitch.com/default.action?itemid=54

I'm using it in conjunction with the iVac switch to activate it and just finished a couple of 30 minute test carves. It seems to work great. They also have combo packages that are much cheaper than buying individual components. It's also much cheaper buying directly from them than anywhere else on the web.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ivac Switch and Contactor.png  
    Steve

I have the Cheaper Version and if you wanted to run a 220 volt Dust Collector you can buy a low voltage transformer and a relay at a Electrical Store. I have some 24 volt relays and transformers from a Electrical Supply place. Let the Switch turn on the low voltage transformer that turn on the relay for the high voltage Dust Collector. The weakness to the small one is that if you operate a collector that draws too much Amperage or Current the little Transistor Switch burns out... This version has the same or similar transistor/SCR/Triac that turns on the CUT MOTOR on the X Termination Board... Q1.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01996_WEB.jpg   DSC07811_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-04-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al,

I purchased an i-Socket like yours recently, and they are now using a relay in it in place of the triac. I did not see any difference on the outside, so I guess you need to open the case to find out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6306937.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	69841

I took this photo while making this modification: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...he-Carvewright
    Last edited by DickB; 06-04-2014 at 08:55 AM.

I have the Ivac switch. I find it annoying that it sometimes turns on with just the servos. There must be a way to raise the trigger current threshold. Anybody done that?

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I have the Cheaper Version and if you wanted to run a 220 volt Dust Collector you can buy a low voltage transformer and a relay at a Electrical Store. I have some 24 volt relays and transformers from a Electrical Supply place. Let the Switch turn on the low voltage transformer that turn on the relay for the high voltage Dust Collector. The weakness to the small one is that if you operate a collector that draws too much Amperage or Current the little Transistor Switch burns out... This version has the same or similar transistor/SCR/Triac that turns on the CUT MOTOR on the X Termination Board... Q1.

AL
    The iVac contactor will handle 220 volt 3 phase 40 amp running current with 150 amp surge and 115Vac control voltage. I thought for $72.00 it was a pretty good buy.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I have the Ivac switch. I find it annoying that it sometimes turns on with just the servos. There must be a way to raise the trigger current threshold. Anybody done that?
    That's what my modification does. Follow the link.

At $72.00 that is a great buy... When I tested my Switch it did not turn on with the Servo's... but I did not put a heavy board on it...

I like the relay version.... much better than the version I have...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01998_WEB.jpg   DSC02001_WEB.jpg   DSC02002_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Maybe it's just my opinion but, it seems a bit trivial to me. One solution would be to leave the switch to the DC off until the Carvewright begins to carve.
    Steve

The issue for me is that without the mod the DC turns on and off each time the cut motor spins up for bit changes. I run projects with 4-5 bit changes. Hard on the DC motor. If I turn off the DC, I forget to turn it back on!

If someone wants to send me an iVac sensor, I'll take a look at it .

Got mine at Lee Valley - works great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noname.jpg  
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast