Thread: My rollaway compact CarveWright setup

Lightbulb My rollaway compact CarveWright setup

I have a very limited shop area, so I came up with a very functional setup for my CarveWright machine. I started with a Harbor Freight rolling tool cart and stiffing the top with 3/4" plywood, but found it was too shaky during tooling operations... so I used four Grizzly bar clamps and removed the stationary end completely.. then I perminently bolted the bars to the four corners of the cart, and when I use the CW I slip on the sliding heads of the clamps and jack the whole thing up, which gives it a slightly wider stance, and makes it very solid! I've added the Dust Deivl collector hood (which I am very happy with!!) but found that my shop vac was being overworked in the long run times... I though about the Dyson approach to home vacuums and went looking for a similar (less expensive) alternative... I found a free Dirt Devil Scorpion on Craig's List, and modified it by removing the rug brush floor head, and the upright handle and building a wood base to support it... It has a high volume air flow, and works great (6 hr run longest to date) and has the advantage that I can knock it down and it stores on the bottom shelf of my rolling cart... a neatly packaged, compact system! And it all works well together!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1080246.jpg   P1080249.jpg   P1080248.JPG   P1080245.jpg  

P1080247.JPG   P1080250.jpg   P1080252.jpg  

Nice neat job adding the shop vac reducer to the Dust Devil, it looks like you cut off the 4" connection and cut down the adapter. I am guessing you then cemented the adapter to the Dust Devil? Thanks for the good word on the Dust Devil.

Also, using the bar clamps looks like a pretty good idea to widen you carts stance and preventing the cart from rolling around.

Erwin

Quote Originally Posted by DJKnutsen View Post
    I have a very limited shop area, so I came up with a very functional setup for my CarveWright machine. I started with a Harbor Freight rolling tool cart and stiffing the top with 3/4" plywood, but found it was too shaky during tooling operations... so I used four Grizzly bar clamps and removed the stationary end completely.. then I perminently bolted the bars to the four corners of the cart, and when I use the CW I slip on the sliding heads of the clamps and jack the whole thing up, which gives it a slightly wider stance, and makes it very solid! I've added the Dust Deivl collector hood (which I am very happy with!!) but found that my shop vac was being overworked in the long run times... I though about the Dyson approach to home vacuums and went looking for a similar (less expensive) alternative... I found a free Dirt Devil Scorpion on Craig's List, and modified it by removing the rug brush floor head, and the upright handle and building a wood base to support it... It has a high volume air flow, and works great (6 hr run longest to date) and has the advantage that I can knock it down and it stores on the bottom shelf of my rolling cart... a neatly packaged, compact system! And it all works well together!
    DUST DEVIL
    Designed and Manufactured by a Professional Product Design Engineer for:
    O.E.M. like Form, Fit & Function

SIMPLY THE FINEST DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM AVAILABLE for CarveWright / Compucarve!
    The DUST DEVIL is the only system that provides suction the full width of the machine for unsurpassed dust collection!

http://www.erwinproducts.com/erwin_products_004.htm

I did in fact perminently modify the outlet of my Dust Devil to accommodate my 2" shop vac hose... and I'm very pleased with it's performance... it probably sucks up 90% of the swarf, and virtually all the fine dust... Post project clean up is a snap! Thanks Erwin

I am using a Shop Vac, but found that the filter needed cleaning after every job. So, I cut a hole in the shop wall, put the Shop Vac outside [under a shelter], removed the filter & let it blow the shavings out onto the ground. [Being on 10 acres of forest means that the dispersed shavings don't bother anyone else].