Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Probe

Default new Probe

Just received my probe today, was inspecting it and noticed the the steel probe moves from side to side... Is this normal? The probe looks like it could have been used... See tool marks on the mono stereo plug... Was not even in plastic bag... For $300, I would expect a new one... Will see if the thing evens works... Thanks for any your reply...

Rick,

My probe came in a specific box made for it and was totally protected. I'd guess that someone put the wrong item in your order. Also there should be NO movement of the probe itself in the quick release holder. Did you check it's screws (and if loose, use Locktite to secure)?

Bob Hill
    Tampa Florida

Default Needle Movement

Thanks for the reply, what is moving on the probe is the needle it self, no screws except for the bottom plate...

Rick,

I just looked at my probe and it's hard to tell if the quick release is actually tight on the needle or the "working" probe device. You When you "move" the needle and look down from the top, do you see the center where the Quick Release attaches move? If the needle moves and that doesn't, then the quick release must attach to the device and not the needle. I've not taken mine apart and since it works just fine, I won't, but perhaps carefully removing the bottom plate might give you an idea of what's wrong. I'd wait for the Bard to perhaps give some direction on that, however. I'd still try to tighten the quick release machine screws though, just in case.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rickrljones View Post
    Just received my probe today, was inspecting it and noticed the the steel probe moves from side to side... Is this normal? The probe looks like it could have been used... See tool marks on the mono stereo plug... Was not even in plastic bag... For $300, I would expect a new one... Will see if the thing evens works... Thanks for any your reply...
    That's the way mine is.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Default Probe

Bob,
    Thanks for your advise... The quick disconnect is just fine, if you hold the probe with the needle pointing upward with the casement held firmly in place the needle move about 1/4" in all directions... Hope this is a more accurate detail of what i've got... Thanks again

Default Probe

Thanks Plunk, it's nice to know that, the software that came with the probe only has one file on the CD, the file is carvewright_1_115_release.ISO... Tried to install the file but my system only wants to burn it to a CD... To me, it's look like the File for the Designer software...

Rick,

The software IS the newer unlocked version of Designer. When you install it, the probe options are unlocked and thus gets put onto your Flash card and vice versa after a probe.

Bob

Default Software update

How would one go about installing the software that came with the probe, tried looking in designer for an import, not there, tried basic installation, no good, the file has an extenion of .ISO...

To clarify, the needle moves. The software on the CD is not needed. Registering the probe activates the existing Designer to recognise the probe.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast