Thread: measure differences

Default measure differences

Final check

I am about to start a job

I have to divide it into top and bottom

the length is about 32.2 inches

and width is about 14

I have loaded the board to cut but it will not measure it twice at the same size

so I can tell the software the board length is 32.2 but when the board is measured it will be slightly more or less and will then ask if I want to center or adjust the dimension

Because I am flipping it the only thing I can think I can do is to center it and hope that the measurement wont be off by too much

I am getting 32.220 and then 32.420 and then I get 32.240 etc

this will probably happen again when I flip it

if it centers with that difference it should not become noticeable error

suggestions

also I am carving whitewood 2.25 thick board with the 1/8 long ballnose with highest optimization and 1/4 feather and the cuts will be as deep as 1.5"

with this setting of optimazation and feather should the bit be okay or will it become damaged

use masking tape, sounds like your belt might be slipping on the board, check your head pressure should be 80 to 85 pounds. You might have to support both ends of the board the machine only handles about 20 pounds of weight.
    and also use multiple passes
    Last edited by aokweld101; 05-08-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added more

I have not had good luck with two-sided carve alignment relying on the machine optics. I have had better luck using jog to center. With this method, there is also no need for the project board and actual board measurements to exactly match.

Are you keeping the board under the rollers? How big is your actual carving - is it at least 7" less than your actual board length? I can give more detailed direction knowing this.

When you say "Highest optimization" are you referring to Bit Optimization on the Designer toolbar, or the setting when you upload? It is the latter one that, if set to Optimized, will result in the slowest carving speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by kjposter View Post
    Final check

I am about to start a job

I have to divide it into top and bottom

the length is about 32.2 inches

and width is about 14

I have loaded the board to cut but it will not measure it twice at the same size

so I can tell the software the board length is 32.2 but when the board is measured it will be slightly more or less and will then ask if I want to center or adjust the dimension

Because I am flipping it the only thing I can think I can do is to center it and hope that the measurement wont be off by too much

I am getting 32.220 and then 32.420 and then I get 32.240 etc

this will probably happen again when I flip it

if it centers with that difference it should not become noticeable error

suggestions

also I am carving whitewood 2.25 thick board with the 1/8 long ballnose with highest optimization and 1/4 feather and the cuts will be as deep as 1.5"

with this setting of optimazation and feather should the bit be okay or will it become damaged
    A board that is 2.25 inches thick and 32 inches long and 14 inches wide can be quite heavy. I think you need to make sure the board is fully supported and absolutely level at all times. Especially when it leaves one of the rollers during the measurement phase. Also, check your head pressure to be sure it is within the accepted working range so the board is held down tightly to the traction belts. Masking tape along the edges where the tracking roller contacts the board may help.
    Steve

Default board measurement

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    A board that is 2.25 inches thick and 32 inches long and 14 inches wide can be quite heavy. I think you need to make sure the board is fully supported and absolutely level at all times. Especially when it leaves one of the rollers during the measurement phase. Also, check your head pressure to be sure it is within the accepted working range so the board is held down tightly to the traction belts. Masking tape along the edges where the tracking roller contacts the board may help.
    As previously stated...This would appear to be a somewhat heavy board. You must do the following to make sure it works out good:

1) Verify correct head pressure. 75lbs is optimal setting for head pressure. Anything less will be a problem.
    2) Tell machine to keep piece UNDER ROLLERS (Add your 7 inches to the workpiece) This is an absolute must for accuracy.
    3) Make sure your out-feed trays are fully supporting the ends of the board. Use additional supports if necessary to avoid the board "kicking up" and losing contact with the tracking roller.
    4)Masking tape may help obtain better traction if the board is slick...Its worth a shot and couldn't hurt anything.

Your measurements are coming out VERY close to each other. You're within an acceptable range for the most part. As with any type of CNC machine operation, there is always going to be a small tolerance factor you have to allow for. 100th of an inch is the standard tolerance for the Carvewright and all other CNC machines I have ever worked with. Trying to fine tune a machine to within hundredths of an inch is always a headache so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are building an airplane or space shuttle. You can use sandpaper on the finished product to sand away a couple hundredths of an inch in most cases.