Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another DC Prototype

Default Another DC Prototype

I am working on another dust collector I think I will call the Dust Rail. I am still at the stage of making the parts out of MDF, but I think I am getting close to the basic design. This one has no moving parts. It should work with any shop vac. It works with the original bit plate. It is not too "in the way" and allows an unobstructed view of the bit carving.

Soon I will make the first real prototype out of cast acyclic. I still have to work on a mounting system so it snaps in and out easily.

The rub, (there always seems to be one!) one has to drill a large hole in the aluminum casing. (Look closely at the first picture where the black tube comes in.)

Also, it will only work with the CT (or the ER20M spindles). No Rock or QC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dust Rail 1.jpg   Dust Rail 2.jpg   Dust Rail 3.jpg   Dust Rail 4.jpg  

Dust Rail 5.jpg  

Dan,

I was considering something like that, at least the hole in the frame.
    What I wanted to do was to put a hole in both sides to increase the amount of air being drawn.
    Both tubes would attach to another tube that had a slot in it and was deformed to fit
    tightly in the curve between the right roller and the chuck.

I did not want anything in the middle-part as the bits get away from me too often.

I also thought of sucking air out of the area just to the left of the right roller to avoid anything in the way of bit-change.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Can't wait to see it finished and make one for my self hopping you put he carve out mpc but looks great should work good
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

I always thought that there ought to be a better way, I think there is to much volume of air going though the dust collector and to the vacuum, I have a shop vac hooked up And it don't have the capacity to pull the air, I looked at the manly handbook and it states on page 346, paragraph 4, line 2 to use more power!!
    Last edited by aokweld101; 05-08-2014 at 04:58 PM.

I agree. It just does not seem right to have more horse power taking out the dust than is used to make the dust! The machine only produces a thimble full of dust a second.

Another great concept Dan, for those who do not have a standard dust collector but I still say a shop vac is not meant to be run for long periods of time.

Guessing the bit slot would have to be increased for larger bits like the 3/8" or 1/2" straight bits.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I have a mini shop vac that has run for hundreds of hours. They only cost $30 so "who cares"? Use grandma's old Electrolux! This is a hobby machine and most garages do not have a large DC system.

As for the larger bits, the clear slot would be removable. There would be stray chips for sure. I think most people rarely use the router bits. The main use for a DC is the long carves with the carving bits and shorter cutting with the cutting bits. They would all fit through the slot.

I have changed my requirements for a DC. I used to think it had to get it all. My dust cap pretty well did that until the deep bits came along. (My dust cap actually has too high of a bit plate and will not work with the deep bits.) Now, I think that it is ok for a DC to leave dust on the work piece. To me, the DC now works if no dust is left in the machine.

The important point that DC builders do not seem to get is that the chips have to be physically stopped. No system with just vacuum (less than 15 lb/sq in pressure difference) can control chips flying off of a bit spinning at 20,000 rpm! The chips have to be stopped and confined. Then it takes little power to collect them.

This DC is a new concept. It is like a plane which confines the chips to the region just above the carve. Only the odd stray chips which ricochet through the slot will get to the top of the machine. I expect, in the case of deep carves, there could be considerable dust left on the board. Who knows. I have yet to give it a real try!

Bergerud, I think that you are a genius,,,, You have hit the nail on the head , confine then suck em up. If a guy already has a large vac system he will have the ultimate in DC.. Hope it works in real life, I can not see why it will not..
    Mike;

Quote Originally Posted by ekimnamyr View Post
    Bergerud, I think that you are a genius,,,, You have hit the nail on the head , confine then suck em up. If a guy already has a large vac system he will have the ultimate in DC.. Hope it works in real life, I can not see why it will not..
    Mike;
    I seconded that motion he is one smart professor I would be his student any time
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Interesting design Dan. I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished project. Do you plan to post it here in the forum or sell it in the Pattern Depot?
    Steve

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast