Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Y-Bearings

Default Y-Bearings

I have the newer y gearbox. They wear out just as fast as the old gearbox. Just ordered two new gearboxes. Its shame we can not order the gear box shaft only. I run my machines 8 hours a day. 6 days a week. Just received the new y box took it apart so I can make a few of the shafts. The metal they use is not heat treated that is why they wear. I going to get the measurements and make them and then heat treat them. I have 6 old y boxes that need this part. Once I make a few and test for wear then they will be for sale. I'm just looking for a supplier for the large bearing. I have gave CW way to much money replacing the y box. Time to make money on rebuilding them. I'm a machinist of 40 years. I have ordered the metal once it comes I'll be turning them. I have a small heat treat machine. Time to put it to use. I need to buy another Carvewright to cut out some of my hours. But this issue has got me looking at different machines that are faster and larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange that the new gear boxs should wear out as fast as the old ones did. What is the number or size of the bigger bearing? Was it the bigger bearing that wore out or the small one in the back?

I have had the new bearings wear out also, have not had the shafts on the gear wear but do have a couple that I cannot get the bearings off of. Would be nice if CW would sell a rebuild kit (bearings and gear) instead of just the whole y pack. I will still rebuild at 250 hrs. bearings may not be shot but I would rather take the 20 or 30 minutes and a couple dollars in parts to rebuild the y & z than wait for a failure on a long carve. we run 3 machines with a 4th on pm / standby. By rotating machines out and doing pm we rarely have a failure or issue while carving and most issues are caught by doing a thorough checkout and test run after doing pm.

Now I am really curious to know the sizes of the new bearings. I assume the inside bearing is the same as the old one: 5mm X 11mm X 5mm (685).

(The bearing I used for the outside in by improved gearbox was 5mm X 16mm X 5 mm (625). recall the post" http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...765#post220765)

Default Y-Bearings

The new gearbox small bearing is the same size. On my last fail the larger bearing looks fine. But the shaft wore the same as the old gearbox. That's why I'm going to try a heat treat on them. The bearing could be bad on the inside. I gave the new bearing to a friend that has a source. I'll let you know what he finds. I use to work for a Auto parts maker. We made transmissions for BMW and Kia. We heat treated the BMW shaft no failures. On the Kia Shaft to save cost. Kia would not pay to heat treat them. I've seen them returned with wear from the bearings. I don't know if heat treating them is the answer but I'm going to try. I'm still going to change the bearing when I do my pm. Maybe start changing every 100 hours before wear starts. I love my CW machines, but I'm going to find the answer for this problem. I'm glade I have my metal working lathe and mill. I do a lot of old tractor parts for people that restore old tractors. I might try to machine the gearbox like you did but with aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Default

we are having an issue where the wheel is " wobbling" the shaft and bearing look fine. It just has alot of play in it and just am not sure how to fix it. CW said to buy a new y pack. We have only had the machine 3 months, not near 250 hours yet. Any advice at all?

How can the gear wheel be wobbling if the shaft and bearings are ok? Where is the play coming from?

8. Default

Not really sure. The ring was bent up, and looked like everything was crooked. Realigned but there is still play in the wheel. Not really sure where the play is from? I just mean they dont look worn.

9. Default

Trying to figure out how I can upload a video as well
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171009_124210.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	917.0 KB 
ID:	84860

I believe you have the newer y gearbox which most of us have not yet had a good look at. Some good pictures of the parts would be awesome. (We have been wondering what number on the big bearing is.)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast