Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Y-Bearings

1. Default Y-Bearings

I noticed a click and than a complete stop on my Y motor..So I replaced the outside bearing,Y/Z Drive Gear/Pulley Combination Assembly,and the Y-Drive Belt Tensioner Assembly..

everything seemed to move free and smooth, so I put the motor back on the machine with the belt and it would move one direction only, so i'm thinking maybe a internal bearing? Not sure if I should

try to do it my self or just buy a new one.

What do you mean by "the outside bearing"? There are two bearings on the Y Gear/Pulley. The inside one is the one that goes first. Did you take the Gear/Pulley right out and replace both bearings?

The Y Motor sits in a U shape frame slot and can rub if not centered....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

4. Default

@ bergerud by outside bearing i mean the bearing under the Y/Z Drive Gear/Pulley Combination Assembly the Only bearing on the "outside" of the Ymotor ,i'm not sure how to get the other bearing out.with out causing any further problems

@ AL doesn't seem to rub and seems to be centered .

There are two bearings on the gear. It seems strange to me that you would only replace one. Did the Y motor pack turn smoothly after you put it back together? Did the carriage move smoothly when the belt was off?

Another possibility for the resistance moving in the y direction could be the belt clamp behind the carriage. If it is not hooked properly before it is clamped to the belt, it can rub. Look for scratches in the black paint behind the carriage.

6. Default

I DID say I didn't know how to get the other bearing out, that would explain the "only replacing the one", I don't know how to get the other one out,or I would have done that as well. everything else on the machine moves as it should without the y on, no marks or hang ups, when I put the y in place it moves fine , as soon as i put the belt on it moves to the right fine but when you try to move it to the left it won't budge..if you take the belt off it moves fine again...

Quote Originally Posted by flemingswoodworks View Post
    I DID say I didn't know how to get the other bearing out, that would explain the "only replacing the one", I don't know how to get the other one out,or I would have done that as well. everything else on the machine moves as it should without the y on, no marks or hang ups, when I put the y in place it moves fine , as soon as i put the belt on it moves to the right fine but when you try to move it to the left it won't budge..if you take the belt off it moves fine again...
    You might have to tap the back bearing out from the front side. This can be done with a small punch placed on the inner race of the bearing.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by flemingswoodworks View Post
    I DID say I didn't know how to get the other bearing out, that would explain the "only replacing the one", I don't know how to get the other one out,or I would have done that as well.
    Sorry, it is just that as I remember, the first one is the hard one to get out. After one is out, the other one is easy.

How does the Y motor drive turn over by hand? Pull the pulley sideways as you turn it.

9. Default

turns easy by hand, if I take the front piece off with the plastic gear and put that on the machine by itself and attach the belt, it works perfect..as soon as i attach the motor to it, it locks up...I think

this is something I shouldn't mess with, I should probably play it safe and buy a replacement .

I know what the problem is! The end of the brass gear on the motor is hitting the machine casing. The brass gear protrudes a little from the gearbox and has to fit in a slot machined into the machine casing. If you mount the gearbox too low, the brass gear will hit. Raise the Y motor up a little in the screw slots.

Edit: I mean raise the whole Y motor pack up in the mounting slots.
    Last edited by bergerud; 05-08-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast