Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Y-Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    What I would like to known is: do the new gear boxes with the larger bearing still need the same maintenance?

Has anyone had these new bearings fail yet??
    I thought I saw a post here and yes someone said they had a new bearing gearbox fail... I think we followed it up with a "Pictures Please" and no response.

So I am not sure if that person just thought that a "Legacy" Replacement "Y" Motor with the standard 685ZZ Bearings had failed after failing to change the 685ZZ Bearings....

They may NOT have had the new version.

Have not seen a picture of the new gearbox or bearings.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I think that was rmock just wanting to do the 250 hr maintenance.

Yes, that was me. When the new version failed and I went to rebuild I found the larger bearing, at that point I just installed another rebuilt Y I had ready and have not looked at the new version as of yet to see what size the bearing is. I think I only had 200 hrs on the new bearing Y when it failed. We put alot of hours on or CW's I think I will stick to rebuilding every 250 hrs it is only a couple $ for bearings and really isn't that much time.

Well, that is interesting that the new, larger bearing failed in the same time frame as the smaller bearings have failed. Maybe the shaft was slipping in the bearing. Let us know when you get around to the autopsy.

Quote Originally Posted by rmock View Post
    Yes, that was me. When the new version failed and I went to rebuild I found the larger bearing, at that point I just installed another rebuilt Y I had ready and have not looked at the new version as of yet to see what size the bearing is. I think I only had 200 hrs on the new bearing Y when it failed. We put alot of hours on or CW's I think I will stick to rebuilding every 250 hrs it is only a couple $ for bearings and really isn't that much time.
    Yes, would love to see pictures.

And measurements of the bearing.

Is the gear/shaft the same?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    What I would like to known is: do the new gear boxes with the larger bearing still need the same maintenance?

Has anyone had these new bearings fail yet??
    I’ve had 3 to fail the large bearing has not helped.....

One failed at 85 hours bad large bearing.

If I could find the large bearing size. I will be rebuilding at 100 hour until the plastic gear wears out. I’m currently changing the small bearing at 100 hour until the shaft wears on the large bearing side then I replace the shaft I have made from the machine shop. But I put the old large bearing back on the new shaft. I sent one of the large bearing to a bearing wholesaler hopefully they will help with the size. The bearing I sent was new from a new y gearbox.

Don’t understand why Carvewright refuses to offer all parts like other manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by allenjones View Post

If I could find the large bearing size. I will be rebuilding at 100 hour until the plastic gear wears out. I’m currently changing the small bearing at 100 hour until the shaft wears on the large bearing side then I replace the shaft I have made from the machine shop. But I put the old large bearing back on the new shaft. I sent one of the large bearing to a bearing wholesaler hopefully they will help with the size. The bearing I sent was new from a new y gearbox.

Don’t understand why Carvewright refuses to offer all parts like other manufacturers.

So we are making progress.... Curious what the new shaft cost you to have made? I just asked my Machine Shop for a quote...

And we might get a size on the bearings too... that is good....

AL

Since we are to the point of making shafts... I remember someone kicked around a idea for a bracket on the flat end cap to help support the bearing from the face side....

AL

Default Y-Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    So we are making progress.... Curious what the new shaft cost you to have made? I just asked my Machine Shop for a quote...

And we might get a size on the bearings too... that is good....

AL
    They cost me $90 for the two. He told me the next ones will be cheaper since he has a blue print made up now. The first two where trial and error. Because I did not have a new one for him to go by. I gave him a worn shaft to get the lengths and two new bearings one small and one large. I also gave him the plastic gear and snap ring. He is out of town on vacation now when he gets back I’ll ask him what would the price be in bulk. I bowl with him so he is a friend. If he can get them low enough I’ll have him make them to sell. I would love to get the price down to around $30 or lower each. I’m currently using the two he did in two of my machines. So I need to have a few made to rebuild a few more of my Y gearboxes. He is out of town for 2 weeks. I’m thinking the shaft would work in the old Y gearbox also. I currently don’t have a old gearbox to try them in. Don’t know why but they went in the trash. That was a big mistake I made. I now save about everything that I replace.

Quote Originally Posted by allenjones View Post

Well I wonder what the problem is. Is it heat? Is it lubrication? Bearing still not large enough?

When I designed my modified gear box, I figured a bigger bearing was going to be good enough. I guess not. (My bearing was 5X16X5 (625))

The design flaw is really having the bearings so far from the belt load. The next thing I would try is having a fixed shaft and put needle bearings in the gear itself.
    Last edited by bergerud; 06-27-2018 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added my bearing size

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast