Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Y-Bearings

Got a price back from my Machine Shop. Plus 6% Sales Tax.

This is the version for the legacy or dual 685ZZ Gearboxes.

My cost with sales tax not counting shipping to me. Then we have shipping to you.

$25.97 each for 25
    $20.67 each for 50
    $18.55 each for 100

This reminds me of the old coke and new coke where coke made classic coke taste like Pepsi thinking it was a good idea...

LHR sold the Gear/Shaft combo in 2011 for $6.00 and made money. We are looking at $30.00 plus with shipping in small quantities.

Must be a better way well, not better but Cheaper Way...... Looking at brass sleeves for my cheap 5 mm shafts...

I am disappointed with LHR... I defend the machine on many other forums... I want my Old Coke Back...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Embedded1530104777775.png  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-27-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I am a 12 yr cabinet maker turned machinist. I run lathes at work most days. I am confident that I could order material and turn it to make new Y shafts. I have 2 machines myself, one A and one B. My A machine is currently running a custom spindle I made at work that accepts standard Porter cable router collets. It runs as nice as a Carvetite I believe.

Here's my situation. I'm moving in 2 weeks, lol. So I'm more than willing to work on a test case to see how it would work. I can't test it in my machines due to them in storage. Making one shouldn't be too dificult and if it works, I would be willing to order material and make them as needed. My other concern is with the number of people interested, how busy I would be working on them.

So if there is interest, please let me know and i'm willing to help. My boss allows me to do stuff on my lunch break, so I see it as doing it for a reasonable cost. It should be better than what is currently being offered.

Just thought i'd see if there's any interest. I would need to see what it looks like as well as maybe sending one to me to measure, etc.

Please contact me if you have questions, thanks.

- Tackytim

P.S. I think I also saw someone mention that there is a bearing with no ID number on it. I could measure that and possibly identify a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by tackytim View Post
    I am a 12 yr cabinet maker turned machinist. I run lathes at work most days. I am confident that I could order material and turn it to make new Y shafts. I have 2 machines myself, one A and one B. My A machine is currently running a custom spindle I made at work that accepts standard Porter cable router collets. It runs as nice as a Carvetite I believe.

Here's my situation. I'm moving in 2 weeks, lol. So I'm more than willing to work on a test case to see how it would work. I can't test it in my machines due to them in storage. Making one shouldn't be too dificult and if it works, I would be willing to order material and make them as needed. My other concern is with the number of people interested, how busy I would be working on them.

So if there is interest, please let me know and i'm willing to help. My boss allows me to do stuff on my lunch break, so I see it as doing it for a reasonable cost. It should be better than what is currently being offered.

Just thought i'd see if there's any interest. I would need to see what it looks like as well as maybe sending one to me to measure, etc.

Please contact me if you have questions, thanks.

- Tackytim

P.S. I think I also saw someone mention that there is a bearing with no ID number on it. I could measure that and possibly identify a replacement.

I am interested. Can you post a few pictures? Lots of other questions too. Can your spindle be used with the Carvewright long bits?
    Steve

Not sure about the long bits. I don't have Designer 3. I suspect so. I made my own press fit bit holders as well. I designed my spindle so the length of the bit in the old QC extended the same amount as the new spindle so as not to cause any touch off issues. Here are a few pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170228_222036_resized.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	86179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170222_154008_resized.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	86178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170222_153815_resized.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	86177

You should try to make your spindles to be compatible with the CarveTight spindle as opposed to the old QC. The long bits and bits with CT adapters will be a problem otherwise. See the picture for the difference. (Also in the picture is an ER20M spindle that I made.) Think also about a lock button. Two wenches is a hassle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010445.JPG  

Yes, 2 wrenches is a little bit of a hassle. At the time i didn't have a carvetite to go by so I had to go with the length of the QC. I made it out of necessity since I couldn't swing the money for the CT and the 907 upgrade both. still haven't upgraded the 907 yet, but i don't even have 100 hrs on my A machine. Hoping to remedy that once I set up wherever we move to.

If/when i upgrade to designer 3, i'll have to redo it most likely. I may have a 3rd machine coming at some point too. Sounds like i'll be making metal chips along with the wood!

Tim,

Put me down for 6 Y Gearbox Shafts.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Would someone be willing to send me an old one so I can make sure the dimensions are right? I do not have access to mine as the machines are in storage. I do not have any shafts to go by other than the ones mounted in my machine. Any pictures would help as well.

Here are some pictures of my setup with the lock button.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0463.jpg   P1010276.JPG  

I love the brass locking pin on the ER Chuck. Excellent work...

As for the old shafts i am looking for in the back of my shop, they normally only wear at the area close to the gear. So even if you do put in new bearings the shaft will still lean.

If anyone has a old shaft that can get it out quicker chime in. I am shooting for Friday my Post Office Day to send something to him. Need to find them first..

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00488_WEB.jpg   DSC00486_WEB.jpg  

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast