Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit Tip Locator Plate

Default Bit Tip Locator Plate

Can't find anything on site regarding the Bit Tip Locator Plate. Mine is sticking. I have lubed it and it works once or twice then sticks again. It doesn't come out far enough for the bit to touch it.

And just by looking at it, I can't figure out what activates it. Electro magnet? Can't it just be left out? Doesn't look like anything can hit it.

Check the cut motor wires up in the top right corner of the machine under the cover. These wires can interfere with the carriage (z servo motor) and stop the carriage from hitting the bit plate.

The carriage hits the bit plate to flip it out and then a spring retracts it. It is a simple physical operation.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Check the cut motor wires up in the top right corner of the machine under the cover. These wires can interfere with the carriage (z servo motor) and stop the carriage from hitting the bit plate.

The carriage hits the bit plate to flip it out and then a spring retracts it. It is a simple physical operation.

Brilliant! I bet that's it. So, I should be able to manually move the carving head all the way to the right and it will flip out the plate?

Quote Originally Posted by tickridge View Post
    Brilliant! I bet that's it. So, I should be able to manually move the carving head all the way to the right and it will flip out the plate?
    mannualy by hand yes the plate will come , but listen to dan
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Quote Originally Posted by tickridge View Post

That was it. Thanks a bunch. After all these years I never realized that the locator plate was mechanical. HA!

I drilled some holes in the cover and ran a ty wrap through and around the wires to keep them in place. No more issues.

If you happen to have the end cover off when you have the top off (like to get at the belt tensioning screw) put the end plate back on last. That way you can position the AC wires to the motor correctly- tuck them down inside the hiddy hole they belong in.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I drilled some holes in the cover and ran a ty wrap through and around the wires to keep them in place. No more issues.
    Sounds like a great solution. Can you post a picture for posterity?

OK, there are three ty wraps. I know I added the two on the left; not sure if the one on the right is OEM or if I added it. I have no problem connecting and disconnecting wires to remove or replace the cover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6306976.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	790.7 KB 
ID:	69387 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6306977.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	69388

Nice permanent solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast