Thread: Sign Foam ?

Default Sign Foam ?

I came across this stuff called sign foam. Has anyone tried to carve this stuff?

Carves great! What pound grade/density is it?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I'm not sure, I just ran onto it on the web. I didn't know the stuff existed for signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggycarver View Post
    I'm not sure, I just ran onto it on the web. I didn't know the stuff existed for signs.
    does anyone have any preferred vendor for the foam ?

It carves very well and there is no wear N tear on ur bits .. You can do cut outs in one pass .. This Big sign was done on my CW on Signfoam .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1202.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	69376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1201.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	69377
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

I too would greatly appreciate help with vendor and pound grade/density for sign foam. My daughter is starting a small business, and I would like to carve a couple of signs of her business logo. The signs will be for indoor use only. They will be going with her from bridal show to show, so transport will result in some wear and tear. So is sign foam something I should consider or should I go the wood/MDF route? Thanks in advance.

The most common is 15lb density I believe. I lucked out last year and found several partial sheets and pieces of 1 1/2" and 2" at a local Habitat Recycling center. I figured I got about $400-$600 worth for just over $100. It machines great and no or very little clean up needed. Dust collection is a must as it is a very fine dust. I would suggest looking for any big sign shops in your area to start with.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Reese Sign Supply is an excellent supplier. They are nationwide also if I am not mistaken. Their headquarters is in Atlanta, but they also have a warehouse in Houston and another up in North Carolina...just a thought

9. Default

I got an 8' x 4' piece of this stuff and it costs around $350 for .75 inches thick. So the cost is about $10 a square foot. It works very nice but will dent somewhat easily.
    Carves very nice even in draft mode.
    http://signfoam.com/distributors.html

Styrospray would make a good hard coating on it.
    http://www.industrialpolymers.com/pr...st/styrospray/