Thread: Learning the curve

Default Learning the curve

My latest project is a cedar strip canoe with carved decks and matching carved paddles. I laminated what I believe to be ash on top of some green, flat-sawn walnut and set it out in the sun to warp. It worked. I then cut two 3/8" oak strips to match the thickness of my work piece + the camber of the warp and screwed the strips to the edges of the board( I made sure that all screws would remain clear of all parts of the machine as well as the carve inside the wood). I then used a level and a block plane to flatten the bottom center of the board and level both sides of the oak strips.
    After several attempts which resulted in board tracking, torn belts, and loose optical encoder problems, I finally got my carves roughed out. They came out o.k. but next time I think I'll use straight boards and then hand-plane to get the curve I need to fit in the canoe.

I carved these last year but didn't get started on the canoe until last month. I have a little touching up on the decks before they are installed but I'm confident that they will look great on the boat.
    I'll post some pics when I get it all finished. I plan to have it in the water by the first week in June.
    Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deck 1.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	332.1 KB 
ID:	69348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deck 2.jpg 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	69349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deck 3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	69350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canoe 1.jpg 
Size:	375.0 KB 
ID:	69351
    "...I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

Isaac Newton
    Last edited by sjmoore69; 05-04-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: add signature
    "...I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

Isaac Newton

That's beautiful. I have been wanting to build a canoe for years but lack the craftsmanship to do so. You've done a great job.

Happy Sailing or in your case happy paddling ....
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Hope the canoe has had it's first trip and works as good as it looks in the photo's nice work!

From the pictures it looks like you did an outstanding job. Only a real craftsman can build a canoe. Show us some more pictures of the finished boat.
    Steve