Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New cx power board

Default New cx power board

I have a model A with power fluctuation issues. Laying machine on it's side and unplugging, then re-plugging all connections to the board turns the machine on. A light tap on the housing above the L2 coil turns the machine off. Funny that I didn't have this problem until AFTER I installed the carvetight upgrade and got 78% into a 5 hour carve. I purchased a refurbished supply board before this project and it didn't work so I sent it back to LHR for testing and they confirmed a defect and sent me another. "Thank you" to LHR's support department. They have been great.
    So I have about 5 1/2 hours on this new board and this same problem crops up. The A2308 board is listed as unavailable on the store website so my question is...Will the new A2143 cx board work with my machine ? I will be ordering a new board as soon as they open tomorrow if it will work.

I have a deadline on this project and I've stripped the pattern in designer and flipped the carve horizontally and vertically so that I might start the carve at the other end and save this one of a kind board. I can live with a little offset in the carve and try to feather the seam with an xacto kit and a moto-tool but I cannot afford to loose this board. I hope this works. What are my chances?

Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paddle 1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	69345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paddle 2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	69346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paddle 3.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	419.4 KB 
ID:	69347

The new power supplies are supposed to fit. You get new wires and plugs as well.

As for the paddle, flipping the pattern seems risky to me. The cover up most of the already carved parts with a 0.00 depth carve region might be a safer trick. You can lift the head up a little after the touch and slowly crank down as it carves above the first part of the pattern already carved. If it is off, you can abort and try again.

I have an A machine and replaced the power supply with the CX version. It is bigger than the original and comes with a plastic bar, two spacers and some long screws to attach it to the original mounting holes. Only time will tell if it was worth the extra money.

Thanks guys.
    I purchased the board this morning and will try out that zero carve region as soon as it gets here. I will be playing with the designer until then and let y'all know how it turns out.
    Steve
    "...I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

Isaac Newton

I need a new power supply also but can't afford it now, how much am I looking at money wise?
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Woodman View Post
    I need a new power supply also but can't afford it now, how much am I looking at money wise?
    It's on the store as $210 plus shipping & handling. That includes the new cables that you need and parts to install.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

To finish your carve, use the original design - no flips or moves - leave it exactly where it was. Place a rectangular carved out region over the already carved area, less about 1 inch, and set it to zero depth. Your machine will move over and restart the carve just before it left off.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I resaved the original file with a new name and created a zero carve region over all but what was carved. Pretty simple fix. Thanks guys.
    I ordered the power board on the 5th and it is still listed as a pick ticket today (the 9th). So I called to inquire and was informed that they had two employees quit without notice and the order would be processed today. Let's hope.
    It looks as though I will have to wait until next week before I try the carve again. I'll post a pic when I get it done.
    Steve
    "...I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

Isaac Newton

Finally got my new board installed but not without some serious problems after the initial power-up. As I was checking the connections I saw the white AC wire move and was surprised to find that it was not even close to being tightly seated. I got out the magnifying glass and could find no glue securing the clear plastic cover so I popped it off with a screwdriver and found the screw was cross-threaded. It was actually pushing the plastic cover into a slight curve so I can't imagine how this was missed during assembly. Anyway...I re-seated the screw and tightened it then reinstalled and ran some start-up tests. I think I even danced a little jig !!! HA. I wouldn't think this would be a frequent problem, but I would suggest that anyone installing a new CX power board test the wires for looseness to avoid the panic I felt when the machine failed after installation.
    Attachment 69534
    The re-carve of the project worked really well (first carve pic), but I discovered that the finished blade would be far too thick so I adjusted the zero carve and re-carve the entire blade(2nd carve pic). I then re-carved the other side of the blade and got exactly what I was expecting with the new carve depth. Cue another little dance. Thanks again guys.
    Steve
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3667a.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	432.2 KB 
ID:	69537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3683a.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	69538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3702a.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	69539

Isaac Newton

That's great news that your "pick-up carve" worked out Steve and that you could save the board. Looks like a really special paddle you are making and we'd love to see photos of it when finished. Thanks for your analysis on the wiring discrepancy you found as it may well help other new Power Board owners prevent any problems before or upon installation. Congratulations
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast