Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Cutouts.

Default Question on Cutouts.

Earlier today I designed a shape, in Designer 2 (2.0.0.5), for a cutout. I used a few of the drawing tools (circle, arc and line) to arrive at the desired shape - then attempted to group the drawn elements together, for the purpose of welding a complete path for the cutout. But I found that those drawn portions would not group. I have read, and re-read what pdf's I have on cutouts, but none of it addressed what it is that I am presently trying to overcome.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by NLAlston View Post
    Earlier today I designed a shape, in Designer 2 (2.0.0.5), for a cutout. I used a few of the drawing tools (circle, arc and line) to arrive at the desired shape - then attempted to group the drawn elements together, for the purpose of welding a complete path for the cutout. But I found that those drawn portions would not group. I have read, and re-read what pdf's I have on cutouts, but none of it addressed what it is that I am presently trying to overcome.
    We really need an example of what you are trying to do. Can you post your project or a reasonable facsimile?
    Steve

On the circle make it an arc.. But I'm with Steve... More input... lol

Can you make each a shallow carve area then select all and outline. Delete carve region and make outline a cut path.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I have attached a file to illustrate my goal. It isn't exactly what I had, previously, but will serve well enough to show what it is I wish to do.

In the example, say that I wished to cut away the arc'ed area between where the two (kinda) winged sections intersect with the outer circle. How would that be done? I had thought that the points could, somehow, be selected, and the scissors used to make the desired cuts.

Then, I wished to select the outer perimeter, as well as the inside circle, and make them cutouts. But I saw no way to group those individually selected sections together, for the purpose of doing so.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Can you make each a shallow carve area then select all and outline. Delete carve region and make outline a cut path.

AL
    Al, I am going to give that a shot, now.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

here is what I think you want. Use arc's instead of circles use toggle end points to weld them together.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by aokweld101; 05-04-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    here is what I think you want. Use arc's instead of circles use toggle end points to weld them together.
    Yep - that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. So, it is the 'Toggle End Points' command which enables the 'welding'. Thank you, VERY MUCH.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

your welcome, glad to help...

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    Use arc's instead of circles. Use toggle end points to weld them together.
    My friend, I am going to have to play around with this, for a while, because I am not succeeding. It has nothing to do with your guidance, because YOU did it, and IT WORKED. I, apparently, am doing something wrong.

I just drew up something else, selected all sections, and tried both the 'Toggle Control Points', and the 'Toggle Non-End Points' choices in the 'View' window. Neither of those actions produced anything even near favorable, for me. I didn't see a 'Toggle End Points' command to be available.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast