Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z-axis & close cover errors

Default Z-axis & close cover errors

I recently bought a compucarve. I received it on 2/19/07. I made up a drawing and started carving the same day. The machine quit when the carving was about 80% done. I have not been able to get anything else done. I have read the forums and am looking for help. I have gotten close cover errors and z-axis stall 236 errors. I have checked out the switch closest to the keypad side it ohms out OK. When I plug in the memory card with items to carve and turn on the machine I read Assories menu 1) scan area. I press the 1) key for projects and get a z-axis stall 236 error. I have gone to the Configuration menu 7) sensor check -enter- Homing switch: blocked cover switch: open. When I try to enter other numbers to proceed I get Please Close Cover - it is closed! I do not know what to do next? I am thinking of taking it in for service or just give up and return it. I think it could be great tool if it would work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You need to call CW for help on this issue, the machine coming up in 'Accesory Mode' is the key. It's indicitive of a board edge sensor wiring issue. Give them a call Monday, be patient their phones are still a bit wonky. Keep trying until you get a live body.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default Don't give up

PHR,

I too recently got a CompuCarve. I won it on eBay. It powered up, and everything seemed fine. I went to try some of the built-in functions, measure board. I got the "close cover" message. I looked and it was closed. I came here to the forum, did some research and read about cables being loose on the circuit board. I looked at the board on my machine and low and behold it was completely unplugged. I powered down the machine and plugged the cable in and when I went to measure the board the close door message went away and the machine started to measure the board. It did the width, but not the length, that's when I got the Z-axis error. It was late so I powered down the machine, took the card out and came back in to do some more reading. The next day I was in Designer and tried to read the flash card, no luck. I went to the machine, put it in, powered it up and all I got was black squares on the LCD display. At that point I'm going "Crap, I hope I didn't get jacked." But I've learned patience in my day ...

Bottom line of my babbling, I spoke with CW, explained my issues and kept a level head. Sent some emails and when I got home from work Thurs. there was a message from CW and a phone number. I called them and talked with Chris. We tried some things, and it was determined my card was bad. So, CW will be sending a card and I sent mine back. Here's the kicker, I talked with Chris for a while, even through a 15 minute download to update Designer and we had a great talk. After I hung up, my wife came in and said, "you sounded like you were talking to your best friend you haven't seen for years, and that was the support person?"

From my brief encounter, CW will work with us to get their machines working. I will continue to be patient through it all, I have many plans for my CompuCarve. Don't give up.

Chris, aka TheBard, at first I thought I was hearing refrains of "Bring out your dead .. Bring out your dead", but then I heard the CompuCarve yelling "I'm not dead yet."

adoni
    Last edited by adoni; 02-23-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    "Life is short, so learn from your mistakes, and stand behind, the choices that you make,
    Face each day with both eyes open wide, and try to give, don't keep it all inside"
    The Answer Lies Within - Dream Theater

You really should contact CW either through the contact link near the top of the main page or by phone contact.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

The Bard Guest

I'd blush if I could.

I talk alot. Ask anyone. LOL but one thing I hate is putting people on hold. If there is ANYTHING I can do except that I will do it, including chatting randomly while waiting for downloads hehe.

I try to avoid the "try this and call me back" though if I expect it'll take longer than 20 minutes or so I might.

btw, i'm everyone's best friend when i'm calling as support LOL.

I will try to contact CW, but my difficulty is I leave the house for work at around 7 am and do not get home until 5:30 or closer to 6:00pm. I assume that I need to be at the machinge to try some fixes. I will try calling tonight, but it sounds like you are quite busy on the phone and I might not get through. Since one response stated that the key is the machine comes up in the accessory mode are there any ideas on what I might try if I cannot get in contact with CW? I am quite adept at problem solving if I have some direction and I do not want to mess up the warranty. Thanks for your help.

Default I had most of these problems

My first project was going fine for 22 minutes. Then the carving bit headed straight for China. I was then told I had a Y axis stall. Now I know what you're thinking, "You mean a z-axis stall". Nope. The relief was deep and the project was a narrow cut. I think the machine tried to advance in y and the cutting bit was way down in a trench of its own making. Anyway, after cleaning up and generally resetting the world, I had a the persistent "Close Front Cover" problem. Eventually, I found that the largest gray ribbon cable (the one above all the others on the PC board behind the z-truck home area) was simply flying in the wind. I connected it. Then things started to buzz again. However, when I tried to run a project again, it tried to measure the board and I got a "Clear board sensor". Now I'm stuck in that particular rut. I recommend checking all the ribbon connectors on the PC board on the left of the unit (as viewed from the front cover). You might progress from one unsolvable problem to the next.

DCC

Default options

What are your sensor numbers for the board sensor?

Select options, sensors, and look for board sensor. If you put your finger in front it should change from zero to 60 or so. If zero all the time, remove the 2 screws, power off, pull sensor and unplug and replug. With it hanging, turn power on and check the numbers. My unit just needed replugging from vibration.

Unhappy board sensor values

They're not zero. At least the Board Sensor isn't. That's the wierd thing. It reads about 130 (although it's not perfectly stable - flashes between 129/130 then stabilizes at 129, then flashes 128/129, stabilizes at 128, etc.). WHen I put my finger under the board sensor, it immediately registers a change to 50 or so. Pretty responsive. Pretty reasonable values. And what's with the edge sensors. I don't even find them in the sensor diagnostics. Could there be another connector that I need to seat a little better? Could this be one of those dirty-power issues? And why does the "Clear Board Sensor" only show up as the z-truck goes past a point about 3" from the left edge of the board? Hypothesis: could there be some connectors on the z-truck itself that are poorly seated? When the z-truck moves to a certain point to the right (i.e. in the x direction), the connectors are mechanically stressed to the point where the sensors drop out. But the z-truck is in the same position when I test the sensors, so I guess that can't be it. Confused and frustrated. Maybe I should just take up carving wood by hand.

DCC

Default Going the distance....

I answered in your other post too. The board sensor is looking for the edge and the fault shows up 3 inches away from the right side because it gives itself a few inches further than say a 6 inch board to see a change in the board sensor indicating the edge.

AL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast