Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z-axis & close cover errors

ckballinger Guest

Default Close Cover Error occurring also

On my second machine from Sears after the first one was DOA out of the box.
    The second one powered up just great, loaded the software updates set up a test project and away we went. Made it almost 80% into the project when I got my first Cover not closed error. Opened covered, lowered, pressed Enter key and away it went, for about 20 seconds and errored again. Noticed a pattern. Seems every time the head assembly moved up at any speed it seem to cause enough inertia that it bounced the cover just enough to trip the micro switches on the cover.
    After examining the switches on the cover I notices that the micro switch on left side of the cover does not extend the same distance out that the one on the right side does and unfortunately there seems to be no way to adjust them, either by loosening the screws or shimming the switch assembly. It doesn't seem to be a case of a loose cable, but I plan to check the board tomorrow as noted in the other posts just in case. Wish there has been some thought to some adjustment capability on these switches for plastic components variations or the ability to add weights to the cover, which may be just what is needed.

Of course you can never judge a problem the same way across the board, but it sounds like you have a problem that they have just recently discovered the cause of. There is a sensor that is in the z-truck assembly that is no longer used on the latest version of the software, but can still cause a signal to get in on the cover switch system. My guess is that you will need to call CW to confirm this but I would think you could tape your cover closed and you will still see the problem. They will most likely have you pull a ribbon cable out or return the machine for them to do it. I have just pulled my cable off but haven't run the machine yet to tell if it solved the problem... will try to post when I know for sure. BTW, this mod disables the Scanner Probe but they are working on a change on that also, but it may be a month or two according the CW Tech.

Smile Fixed the "close cover"

Indeed, that little 5-wire ribbon cable fixed my close cover error. The CW tech held on to the call long enough for me to open the machine and totally disconnect the cable from the back of the truck. Worked absolutely fine. Now we are coming up with a z-axis stall and a 246 error message. Have 3 calls into CW and they should be calling me soon.

Love the machine and hope that these updates and fixes will render the machine as almost perfect.
    Smile--It will make them wonder what your up to!

It definitely takes patience but I am sure that all the productions problems will be fixed and the machine will be reliable and repairible which are two things that I hold most important. For those that have less patience, I wouldn't fault them, but I think the people who get fed up early on and take it back for a refund are going to be the loosers in the long run.

Unhappy AC Iterrupt Switch - Close Cover Error

Has anyone had problems with the AC Interrupt Switch? Naturally, it Saturday, and I'm behind on getting my Christmas projects out... I now have a constant Close Cover Error... I think the problem is in the AC Interrupt switch. When I hold the left cover micro switch in the closed position and then move the right AC Interrupt switch to the closed position some times the QRC will start to rotate and then stop so I'm thinking that's the problem... Any ideas or work-arounds.... At this date, even if I knew what parts to order from CW, I'd still be three days behind a schedule that I'm already behind on... Thoughts????
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny
    Every day I thank God for Mister Levi Strauss
    mailto:gunny@thegunnys.us
    http://www.thegunnys.us

Same thing occurred to me when I lost the cover switch on the keyboard side.

You can verify this by temporarily jumping across the switch leads and see if you get an "enter to continue" on the display.

Gunny,

The left switch tells the computer that the cover is closed and will cause a jerking of the QC (normal). The left switch is the only one to give you the close cover error. Monitor using options and sensor check. The right switch is the return power path for the cut motor and is not monitored by the computer. The cut motor will fail to start if it is bad.

Loose screws in a big problem with the left switch.

Loose plug going into the circuit board in back will cause it.

Unsupported clear covers when removing the top cover causes damage to the switch as the clear cover rest's on the switches breaking them.

A quick jumper will test the switch. The left switch has low voltage on it. The right switch has return 115 VAC on it and under the right circumstances you can get shocked.

Good Luck,

AL

You can call me if needed. Contact info on my web site.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12