Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: First whack at grayscale geometry. Direction pls

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I do not what program you are using. (The 0.00 surface can be removed later in the pattern editor if you have it but that is not the best way.) I just took the stl into meshlab and deleted the two box corner points.

Once in the STL importer, I started from the back to the front. Then in Designer, I inverted the patterns. Line up in the x is going to be a bit of a problem. First thing is first. See what the mpc's should be like.
    A few points to hit. On each of these files, the base piece will not have a floor feather, and won't be pierced. The upper slices will be cut out around the perimeter.

Also, I plan on gluing after I carve.

Your getting there! Try to just focus on the mold area with out the flat not needed area. I think that is what is causing some of your problems.

Another approach you might try with this is to model your actual finished piece and use it as a positive/negative to make the mold shape.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I left a vmail at Carvewright, and recieved an email telling me that my spindle was shipped out of the NYC factory, and will be re-shipped to me as soon as it arrives in TX in a week...

Well, I received the carvetight on monday. Its installed. Now I just have to get my tablesaw running so I can cut the 1.25" and .75" MDF sheets. I have the sheets. The 1.25" sheets will be used with a 1" deep cut on each of them, and then if and when a second layer/slice is needed, I will either use another 1.25" or a .75" sheet. Gotta finalize those files. I do believe that when cut in halves, the deeper carves will be about 3 hours each. Definately not the economical way to do this, if you can afford a bigger table router... I'd prefer not having to slice anything, even if the machine time goes up, having a perfect surface will allow a better finish of the mold, and there fore any composite decks I decide to build with it. Its ok, I will get around that. Very stoked to be hopefully cutting out tomorrow.

Ok, this is officially my SOS call for help. I am not able to create a file which doesn't call for the perimeter of the board to be cut out. It is impossible... Here is the original STL file. Please help...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LOBO.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Something like this?
    ok, how did you do that?

We have been here before! Deleted the corner vertices and got rid of the box. I imported the STL - made a pattern. Then I took it into the PE trimmed the edge and took out the 0.00 level with the magic wand.

So you used meshlab to turn it onto a surface only? Then after importing you removed the zero with the wand? When you say trimmed the edge in PE can you explain that a bit more?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast