Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carve Letter on bottom of a square

Default Carve Letter on bottom of a square

How can I carve letters as part of the square like the attached photo. I am wanting to make to Christmas presents with Grandchildren's names.

Thank you for any and all help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Deer.jpg  

Here is an example. It has a method to outline and then cutout or a method to just carve.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If I did it.... I would create a rectangle with rounded corners and assign a 1/16th straight bit to is so you can see the line at .25 deep. Then I would type the name like ANN in a block font in OUTLINE MODE like I did and assign the same bit after placing it in the correct place in the rectangle. Then I am a believer in MANUAL TRACING... I showed in the picture how I used the Line, Connect Line, and the Arc Tool to manually trace over the 1/16th lines made by assigning the bit to the First Rectangle and First OUTLINE text. I then used the manual trace to make cut outs for inside of the A and N's.

I then DELETED the first TEXT and then the first Rectangle leaving ONLY my manual outline after I assigned the 1/16th straight bit. This will show what the cut out will look like. I included the file in 1/16th AND my favorite and the way I would do it.... Assign a 1/4 inch BIT to all lines BUT ONLY LOAD a Circuit Board 1/16th END MILL.

Since likely this insert will be a 1/4 inch thick material this would work GREAT.... And the reason to LIE to the machine and tell it to use a 1/4 but load a 1/16 is that this will cut in one SMOOTH slow speed and not shift to the higher speed IF you used CUT PATH. I would put the 1/4 inch stock on a Carrier Board and use double stick tape to hold the loose cuts of the name in place like my tag boards....

I will post the mpc's in the next post... I am a BIG Believer in using the 1/16th Circuit Board END MILLS that have a cutting edge on the tip and putting the bit in a Roto ZIP bit holder.... When I assign the 1/4 inch bit and use THIS there is NO Problems with length like when using a 1/8th and a cut path... Again the DOWN SIDE of using a cut path is the 2 speed FEED RATE, the faster cut will tear up the wood slightly. The End Mill does it SLOW and SMOOTH.... LHR told me about the TRICK... I don't take credit for it.... I just love to post about it....

And you can use ANY FONT.... If you did a fancy font that had a lower section that would be located on the frame part... you could trace the lower part and just assign the same bit BUT set the depth to something like .1 for a trace and not a cut through....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ANN 3.jpg   ANN 4.jpg   ANN 5.jpg   ANN 6.jpg  

ANN 7.jpg   ANN 8.jpg   DSC09390_WEB.jpg   DSC02590_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 11-10-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Here are the files. The file with the 1/16th straight bit assigned, NOT sure how this would cut..... I should try it sometime....

The other file is the same except I tell it to use a 1/4 inch bit but load the 1/16th end mill.

It's a rough version.... done quick...

With this method you could cut POSTER BOARD for a insert in a GLASS FRAME.... Plus i know they sell picture frames with a thin veneer over it so you can cut the My First Deer exposing the rectangle.

Looking at the My First Deer picture you can see it was cut with a LASER ENGRAVER as the edges are Chocolate Brown. And the laser artwork in Corel Draw would be done much the same... But likely not manually traced. Corel does have powerful tools for this. I did digitize or MANUALLY TRACE a New Mexico Oil Refinery Logo in Corel Draw using a manual trace a few weeks ago. That let me change the color of the logo based on the tag color for this big order. Doing the Rectangle Tag Final Revision for this order tonight. They had the option too put Emergency Contact info on the back of the Rectangle Tag along with a bunch of Medical and Allergy Stuff and even included Religion if they wanted it... This is the 1st of the Refinery's... hope to be doing MORE.... The Employees are Fire Fighters, Rescue, Medical, Haz Mat, and Ops.

And the CW cut the COW TAGS or Pear Shaped tags.... Could not have done it without it... Took a Cow Tag picture and made it a PTN then Manually traced it to get the shape. On the Carrier Board they were cut with the circuit board end mill bit with a 1/4 inch strip of double sided tape.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HF CO 1.jpg   DSC05341_WEB.jpg   DSC05316_WEB.jpg   DSC05348_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 11-10-2015 at 08:43 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

To all, I tried what you said but I failed to let you know the wife wanted the carved names to fit in 4 X 6 frames and all I did every thing was just too small. I am going to see if I can talk her into 8 X 10 frames!
    Thank you for all your help!

Al, what are the bits you are showing on your post, are they for the carvewright and where did you get them?

Quote Originally Posted by mwunderlin View Post
    To all, I tried what you said but I failed to let you know the wife wanted the carved names to fit in 4 X 6 frames and all I did every thing was just too small. I am going to see if I can talk her into 8 X 10 frames!
    Thank you for all your help!

Al, what are the bits you are showing on your post, are they for the carvewright and where did you get them?
    I cut a lot of plastic sheeting into tags. The 2 bits on the right are Very Worn Out 1/16th end mill bits from my Star 912 Rotary Engraver that start out 6 inches long and I cut them in half on my chain saw chain grinder. I don't use them anymore. I found I could get the Circuit Board End Mill bits very cheap on eBay so I use them held in a Roto Zip bit holder for a robust and VERY CHEAP setup to cut with. They even have them in 1/18th inch end mill. I use that trick where I lie to the machine telling it I am going to cut the vector lines or ANN with a 1/4 inch round nose bit. But I actually install this Circuit Board 1/16th inch setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03577_WEB.jpg   DSC05190_WEB.jpg   DSC01454_WEB.jpg  

Let me know if this is what you are looking for and I will give you the steps I used to create it.

You will need:
    Designer 3
    2D add-on
    3D add-on
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-13-2015 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Correct typos
    Steve

I do not think you need any extra tools. Look at this trick. Select all in the mpc and outline.

(I just noted in Designer 3 the text needs to be moved a little.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails outline hole.png  
    Last edited by bergerud; 11-13-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I do not think you need any extra tools. Look at this trick. Select all in the mpc and outline.

(I just noted in Designer 3 the text needs to be moved a little.)
    How are you going to do the frame profile without the sweep?
    Steve

I was only thinking of the letters in the hole problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast