Thread: using the long bit

Default using the long bit

I have recently purchased the new 2" carving bit

I have a pattern that calls for a 1.7 " depth

Is the software and hardware capable of carving in small enough quantities to keep the bit safe from breaking

if not what techniques might be considered

I was thinking of outlining the pattern and then taking an initial pass at a more shallow level that takes some of the material away and then go to the pattern and carve deeper

feedback please

The machine and the bits were designed for deep carves. I have only used mine on the rotary jig but, I haven't had any issues. If all is normal, you shouldn't either.
    Steve

3. Default

I do not have version 2 or the deep carving bits but I do believe you should take care when designing carvings to use with the deep carving bit. Look at these posts.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...e+deep+carving

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...e+deep+carving

I should have clarified that I have Des 2.0 and the 2" carving bit

I need to know if they made changes to the software and hardware so that the machine does not try to take too much in a pass and stress the bit or damage

I was thinking I could create a carve region and at half the depth of the pattern to take away some of the material.

This would keep the bit from taking too much when the pattern is carving at 1.75"

this of course would add carving time to the machine which I would like to not have to do

If you have the 1/8" deep carving bit, I do not think you will have any problems. I like to use some feather for easy starts and make sure there are not any quick plunges. I have not used the 1/16" much yet but I do not think pre-carving is required. Stick to best or optimal with some feather and let us know how it goes. From what I have seen, the software is much more gentle with the deep bits.

is carvewright working on adjusting the software and hardware to reduce the amount the bit takes in a pass and how fast it drills down

to reduce the chance of breaking a bit

They have already done that. The cut rates and behavior of the deep bits is much different than the regular bits. I think you just have to go for it!