Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 inch rule problem

Default 7 inch rule problem

I am running 2.005. Most of my designs are much smaller than the length of my boards so that I can lay one project right next to the last one - saving that 7 inches when I can.

Since installing the .005, I am now seeing the jog stopping at 5.5 inches on the first project.

It goes through measuring the board, but initially only does the left end - facing the keypad. Once it sees that I have enough length to the left, it stops measuring. Then when I jog to front position..all the way to the right.. it measures the entire board. Then, with the new jog prompt, it stops 5.5 inches out. This is now on 3 different boards (initially thought I was being careless). Since I cut the boards with the projects in mind, this 2 inches is really throwing my planning off!

I start at the right, because if the project goes south for some reason I don't have this bad carve in the middle of a board. I know that I can tell it to not stay under rollers, but that's not really the point is it?

Any insight would be appreciated. I will be out of town for a week, so I may not get back to you until then.

You can use a board about 1/4" longer than your project by hot gluing matching 3 1/2"+ ( I usually use 4") to each end of your board. I use the back of my table saw fence as a guide. The blocks must be the same thickness, but unless it is a 2 sided carve, they only need to be at least 2/3 the width of your board. You can measure the board (7 on the menu) to be sure it tracks ok. I have a bunch of pieces for this under my work bench.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Default jig pics

Just a good reason to use a jig. Mine has one end that stays on the end of the board and the other is adjustable. My ends are just a little over 3.5" and most of the time I don't need side rails if it's just a sign or the two sides (top and bottom of project) don't get cut off.
    Here is a pic of one of my jigs I use a lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3934.JPG   IMG_3935.JPG  
    Last edited by CarverJerry; 04-14-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: pics
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

If you're just trying to save the 7 inches the jig is the way to go. Gluing on scraps as also suggested achieves the same result. If you're trying to save carve time then putting them on the same board makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    Just a good reason to use a jig. Mine has one end that stays on the end of the board and the other is adjustable. My ends are just a little over 3.5" and most of the time I don't need side rails if it's just a sign or the two sides (top and bottom of project) don't get cut off.
    Here is a pic of one of my jigs I use a lot.
    Jerry,

The surface of your sled looks a lot like mine!
    Question: What do you use to hold the board down to the sled?
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Doc, I put the screws in the movable end (jaw) in on an angle (so it will suck the end piece (jaw) towards the workpiece) which in turn holds the board tight. With signs the rollers will keep it down. I've never had one come loose on me yet.....knock on wood..lol
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

What I generally do is to plan out a little sign, placard, etc to each end of the piece to 'fill up' the board- the main center carving obeys the 7in rule while the ends don't go to waste.
    I just run the board w/o staying under rollers.
    There's no chance of snipe because the transition line is at the piece boundary....easy peezy.

Of course I realize this doesn't help if I only have just enough wood for the main carving- but you get my point, right?

Thanks for all of the responses! I have used Jigs, I use the pins that are meant as shelf supports to make it adjustable. There is a grid of holes at 1/2 inch spacing. Seems to work ok, I am waiting for the holes to oval out on me

The real question here is, is anyone else having the problem with the jog stopping 5.5 inches from the end of the board instead of 3.5in?

You can only jog around on the sled to the areas for which the Designer board will fit. You cannot jog to a place where the Designer board would go off the sled.

I am a visual person, so here is an image of what I am experiencing. I want to place 4 similar projects on a single board (which I have cut a supply of already). I load them individually so that I can start or stop as time/hours in the day permit. I can not get the jog function to go to the far right of the board to 3.5". It stops at 5.5".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jog image.PNG 
Views:	33 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	69224
    Last edited by DianMayfield; 04-26-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Sp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast