Thread: Easter Eggs for My Grandkids

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Easter Eggs for My Grandkids

My wife and I have two of our grandkids coming over this weekend, so I thought I would make them each a surprise - Easter Eggs with their names on them! I bought a bunch of 3"x"3x12" Basswood blocks, so I decided to use one of them for this. My design layout was based upon a 2.904" rotary diameter for this block. The diagonals from corner-to-corner measure 4.25", so that's the maximum size I could put into the jig. (I could have used a larger 4x4 Basswood stock, if I rounded or cut off the corners first - you just have to be sure that no portion of the diameter measurement exceeds 4.25".)

I created the layout for rotary using my original egg STL I created for a recent POM, then "decorated" one egg with simple "puffed" shapes using the CarveWright 3D Suite tools. I also used the horizontal array copy for the multiple decorative shapes at the base of the egg. I added their names using the Text Tool, then vertically Mirrored the decorations for the one egg to duplicate them on the other.

I thought you might enjoy seeing some photos of my last-minute project carved just yesterday. I will saw off the eggs from the stock and proceed to sand and apply finish today. I'll leave a flat bottom so the eggs will be able to stand on their own. I might make some kind of base with magnets in the base and egg bottoms too - I haven't decided yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-easter-egg-screenshot_1.png   2-drilling-holes-for-mounting.png   3-mounted-3x3-square-stock.png   4-95-percent-finished.png  

5-completed-carve.png   6-carve-removed-from-jig.png   7-actual-virtual-side-by-side.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 04-11-2014 at 09:28 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══