Thread: Question on z motor

Default Question on z motor

Quick question on the difference between old z motor and newer replaced motor.
    I stumbled across an old compucarve for sale and I don't know if the z pack had been replaced, I cand find the pics that Al has placed on here several times , want to be able to identify before I make offer
    ,anyone direct meto the pics real quick steve
    Start U Member

You could count the conductors in the ribbon cable - 14 (new) vs 18 (old).
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Also, The old version with out the a907 upgrade the cover switch wires plugs into the bottom of the card. With 907 they plug into the top of the card.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Motor is a motor... It's the little circuit board attached to the motor that is either the old 18 pin or the new 14 pin. A old motor even with long fins can have a new 14 pin board attached.

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06680a_WEB.jpg   DSC06658_WEB.jpg   DSC06653_WEB.jpg  

DSC06655_WEB.jpg   DSC06656_WEB.jpg   DSC06657_WEB.jpg   DSC06660_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Oh I thought the motor had to be changed , I still have the old z motor from my old a model that I changed out a long time ago that had long fins , so it is still good then?
    Going to look at the machine for sale tomorro, found it while I am out of town and needed to know what I was looking for(I thought it was fins on motor)
    Start U Member

Sent reply to PM but for the others. The early motors had a problem with the plug on the encoder snapping a solder joint. It was limited to very few in the big scale of things but I had one. So early on the A907 included the motor. Now I believe it is just the 14 pin cable and 2 circuit boards.

The Trick to remember is to remove that little 18 pin circuit board from the motor and trash it.... I call it a 16 pin in the close up picture above but it is 18... IF you plugged a 14 pin cable into a old 18 pin motor circuit board the wider fins of the 14 pin cable will short out the 18 pin thinner fins and you could short out your computer.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Purchased said machine and it does need the A907 upgrade , owner has put 143 hrs on it without the upgrade but I feel like I got a good deal on it , I have spare parts to do the upgrade . Also has the quick change chuck which will have to be replaced
    Start U Member

The 18 pin system DOES work and a few had very good luck with it.... but the down side is a failure could snap a expensive bit or make expensive fire wood.

AL