Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bit doesn't quite touch board during loading....

Saw the Video and posted a reply.

I believe that this is a long bearing screw, likely the lower right bearing. Back in the early days, the Truck Castings were thinner on the lower right bearing. The Wedge effect of the screw head would sometimes snap the truck. A LHR fix was to put a black washer on the screw and that worked GREAT... They may have used a longer screw too... Later Truck castings had a thicker lower right area plus they filled in the now un used holes like the probe data and homing sensor....

So that leads me to believe that a longer screw may have been re cycled and is now sticking out the back of the lower right bearing and hitting the lower frame.... A thin file or sand paper might let you sand off the long screw.... Getting the screw out with the lock tite can be a hard thing to do without damaging the screw head. Heat may be needed....

Good Luck,

AL

EDIT: AND.... LOOK at the Y Truck housing and the 2 holes where the Z Gearbox Attaches... IF you failed to put the Washer on the Z Gearbox Screw OR a longer Screw was used... It could stick out and snag the Z Truck....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08344_WEB.jpg   DSC08528.JPG   DSC03586_WEB.jpg   DSC08513a_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-11-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al, that's a great insight- I always look for interference in such forms, but saw none here.
    I contacted Tech Support (who couldn't see the vids I posted for that purpose) and after going thru the whole " is it the battery? is it the ball joints? is it the muffler?" routine we got down to it and I told him I could see that the upper and lower right side rollers has ever-so-slight abrasions/indents that coincided EXACTLY where the roller would touch the rail when the stop occurred. He said remove the Ztruck and call him back when I had it off.
    Five mins later (hadda look for the wrench) I called and they were off for lunch! Great timing!
    Anyways, since I had it off I could see that the right side rollers' indents were less deep than I thought. Part of the issue was some discoloration at the critical spots- so I fingernail-scraped then buffed them clean- much better.
    Upon further inspection, I noticed the 'feel' of the bearings in the rollers was in no way consistent between the set- the upper left and lower right bearings had a much more 'gravel-y' feel and sound to them than the other two. Holding the assembly truck-side down I was able to pool some good-ol' WD-40 on 'em and work it down between the ID bushing and the face seals by turning them with my fingers. Note that all bearings continued to turn freely for a sec when spun prior to this lube step, but after lube the difference was not as great as I had hoped. The gravelly feel of the questionable ones did not improve.
    I then test-rolled the assembly on the rails again (knowing there's no pre-load applied nor any adjustment made) by holding it tight against the right-hand rail, then the left one, and gliding it up and down repeatedly. WAY smoother than it was!
    Since Israel was still at lunch, I took a shot and threw the truck back on the machine right and proper- belt on, motor mounted, pre-loaded rollers- and there's just a HINT of that jerky stoppage, this time near the upper end of travel.
    Though I still hold the bearings/rollers in the questionable status category and do not consider it 'fixed', I determined it was good enough to test, and maybe run with, so I put the rest of it together and it's running right now, carving like a champ- at least for now.
    I have to keep carving, can't afford any down-time- got a craft show coming up.
    (Let's see how long this pseudo-repair lasts)

I hope maybe someone can benefit from my lengthy descriptions LOL to save them some hassles!
    THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO SUPPLIED INPUT AND ADVICE !!!!!!
    You all are the BEST.

Well, OK, I got a week out of it before it happened again- exactly as before, but not yet as drastic a clunk in Z-axis. I removed the dust covers and rolled the truck up and down the guides a good few times- no improvement. I polished up the rollers and guides in all positions along the track- no help. I applied a slight dab of lithium grease to the rollers and guides- no help.
    It's occurred to me that I just got done with a 1/16in-bit carve, and the issue arose when I switched to a 60degV-centerline setup to complete the projects on the board. The whole 1/16bit carve was 1/8in deep or less, which kept the truck working in about the same positional range as it now is getting stuck in. The slight marks on the rollers again correspond with the position in question (see previous posts).
    I'm going to call Tech Support again but I wanted to get this documented here first in case anyone had any fresh ideas.
    I'm going to try and see if they'll send me a new set of rollers under warranty- there's obviously something wrong with these. Maybe initial factory preload was too high? Maybe bearings in the rollers were defective?
    They won't help me with the craft show this coming weekend, but there's no way it's acceptable that a new machine should have a mechanical problem such as this that requires so much attention.

https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/sa...jpg&jq=100

This is a link to the video I posted on CW's facebook page.
    Video was taken as per request of Chris in Tech Support.

As of this writing, his original plan to replace the truck was changed to a full set of rollers/bearings as per Engineering Dept.
    As I've said, this won't help me with this weekend's show, but I should be OK w/o the remaining pieces I had planned to bring.

Again, thanks to everyone for their helpfulness- we're all in this together.

The link comes up as a blank page...no video...no nuttin' (tried IE as well as Chrome...nada)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    The link comes up as a blank page...no video...no nuttin' (tried IE as well as Chrome...nada)
    Nothing for me either.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Nothing for me either.
    Hmmmm.......... lemme see, this is how I did it last time.....
    OK, that's not it....hang on..........
    https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/sa...8_b.jpg&jq=100

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203044369303507
    THERE WE GO !!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345