Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit doesn't quite touch board during loading....

Alrighty then...again...
    I re-mounted the 1/16 bit...same thing.
    I swapped out for the 1/8 cutting bit (a tad shorter in comparison).....same thing.
    It's occurred to me that it's hard to see thru the cover as to whether the bit is really going all the way down to home during the LOAD BIT procedure....
    so I jimmied the cover switch and tried it again, watching for the bit touchpoints- it's still hard to see, but the bit doesn't seem to be going below the board surface to HOME after all...shouldn't it be going to 0 (at least) on X-axis? Or am I not remembering correctly?

*By "0" I mean level with traction belts
    *Dammit! I meant Z-axis

Not sure this its this but lets check the firmware... Go to " file" "flash manager" click "Latest Firmware" and please post the Firmware number.

Also it can be as simple as dirty bearings with the power off check the truck action and bearings should be smooth if not a spray of wd40 works well but place a rag over the board sensor.

installed is 2.005.11800
    I installed the latest as per Bergurud's earlier recommendation.

The machine is only weeks old and kept dust-free- but I will check, BRB

OK, here's a new observation:
    The Ztruck is free to move smoothly but only allows the bit tip to go about 1/16" or so below the board surface when checked beyond the edge of the board- travel ends abruptly with a 'mechanical stop' feel. Might be a good 'idiot-proof failsafe' to keep from breaking bits?
    I unlocked and raised the machine (power is OFF, BTW) and tried it again- still the abrupt stop.

Later: checked again with power ON... same thing.
    The rails look as if there's extra distance to cover, as there would need to be to cut/carve anything deeper than 1/16in. I don't recall for sure whether or not there is full travel with power OFF, but I think there is. Is this a new failsafe stop in the programming or a drive belt slip or......?

This must be the problem. Something mechanical is stopping the travel. The z truck should travel right to the bottom. That makes sense that it hit the "stop" and thought it was the board. (Ignore my earlier suggestion that it is a calibration problem. I thought it was going down beside the board but then not going down to the board.)

Look for a wood chip or whatever is stopping the travel.

Upon further investigation: there is a definite, no-foolin-around CLUNK that's stopping the Ztruck from going all the way down...unless you manually move it down fast enough to 'jump the clunk'* and get beyond it.
    Above and below it, travel is smooth as could be, but it feels like the rollers are hitting a notch or something in one spot only. Except......
    There's no notch. Not on a rail, not on a bearing. Visual inspection with light and mirror confirm this. Ran my fingers all over every part while moving the truck. There is no material on the belt. If it were an internal bearing (which I lubed as per LiquidGuitar's recommendation, below) issue it would 'slide' along the rail over time with repeated up/down manual manipulations.
    SO.. no gunk, no external blockage, the belt isn't jamming, the bearings all turn, the rails are clean and smooth, no pitch piles built-up.....?
    Note that repeated 'jumps' do not lessen the effect.
    Could it be a Z-truck gearing issue?
    It's a brand-spanking-new machine, under warranty, and it's way too early to have to be either dealing with shipments or tearing the thing down.
    Note, also, that this is a sudden-onset problem.

*sounds like an early Knievel stunt

It sounds like you need to take the belt off to find the cause.
    To do that, you take the motor loose if I recall correctly - not difficult.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

At one time I had a similar problem when the cable at the tulip of the z truck was catching on the lid at the edge of the slot where it travels.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast