Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: determine thickness of a pattern

Default determine thickness of a pattern

how can I determine the thickness of a pattern

2. Default

With design open in the top left there's a number that displays the depth. You can adjust it as necessary for your project.

i have entered a different number in that area and saved it

so I dont know what the original value was

is there another way to determine the thickness of pattern once imported into des 2.0

The thickness is the deepest part (your depth setting) and the top most height of the pattern. If you set a pattern .250" depth and then mouse over the highest point in the pattern. At the bottom left of the screen you will see a set of numbers (a x b x c). the C is the height setting of the pattern. The A and B are the positioning of that point on the board length and width.

So you have a pattern set at .250" deep and the highest point on the pattern read .070" then the pattern is .250 - .070 = .180 thickness.

To back out from a change you just did use the "undo" icon.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I think kjposter is asking how he can determine the original depth of a pattern after he has changed the depth and saved the project?

If you just added the pattern to your own project, I think the easiest way is to drag a second copy of the same pattern back onto the project and see what depth that is at, then remove it.

If the pattern was on a project supplied by someone else, you should be able to use the "export pattern" and the pattern will be the designed depth (but not necessarily the depth it was in the project). To find what depth it was in a project, you'd need a copy of that project.

If you edited the pattern in pattern editor and saved it, you're likely out of luck unless you have a backup somewhere.

The height is also a factor in how a pattern looks on a project, if you edited and saved that the only way you can find out what is was is to have a copy of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by kjposter View Post
    how can I determine the thickness of a pattern
    I think Floyd already has correctly answered the question but, here is my definition:

When you place the pattern on the board the depth of the pattern is displayed in the "Depth" box on the toolbar. This measurement is the distance from the top of the board to the deepest part of the pattern Then, as you move the mouse over the pattern note the measurements in the lower left of the screen. The first two are the mouse co-ordinates and the third is the depth of the pattern at the mouse pointer from the top of the board. The rest is just doing the math. Lowest minus the highest equals the pattern thickness. Sometimes you have to move the mouse around to find the highest point in the pattern.

I might also add that setting the depth of a pattern from both sides to achieve a cutout effect isn't a really good method. Although it can be done, you will probably get unpredictable or undesirable results.
    Steve

If you drop a pattern in and it's depth is 1/8 deep then it is 1/8 thick. .25 deep is .25 thick etc.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    If you drop a pattern in and it's depth is 1/8 deep then it is 1/8 thick. .25 deep is .25 thick etc.
    Then you are saying that it isn't possible to have a pattern that was designed with a depth of .25 that is only .128 inches thick?
    Steve

The depth can be changed to .128, but that was not the original thickness of the pattern.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    The depth can be changed to .128, but that was not the original thickness of the pattern.
    Floyd's and my definitions are really for pattern in a project where the original depth and height has been changed and you don't really know what the original depth or thickness was.
    Steve

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast