Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit doesn't quite touch board during loading....

Default Bit doesn't quite touch board during loading....

Brand new CX with 2.004- used daily, no problems at all until now. Dust collection and vacuumed after each use- no fouled belts, truck is free to move in all axes. During bit loading the bit finds home (below surface level) and touches the swing-out touchplate (above surface level). The only issue is when the bit (1/16"carving, BTW) is supposed to touch the wood surface it comes SO close- but doesn't touch. All other automated measurements are otherwise fine i.e. length, width, etc. Double-checked the board settings for the piece in Designer and it's correct. When the fault occurs, there is no error message, it just re-directs me to load the bit again. Tried ABORT-and-start-over, tried power OFF and restart, etc... everything except re-format the card, which doesn't seem applicable here. I'm very experienced in trouble shooting my old Rev.A Compucarve, so I'm no newbie. Any ideas?

Install 2.005 and retry. There were bit length issues that were changed from 2.004 to 2.005. It may not be the problem, but upgrade before continuing to trouble shoot. If the problem continues, it may be to do with internal parameters that only LHR can help with.

I have my software set to auto-update....lemme check......
    OK, I'm running 2.004 and need the 2.005 update.....I click on "check for updates" in Designer but it just brings me to the main install page on CW website with no update links.
    I'm gonna look around some- BRB.

Later: I don't get it- I can't seem to find where to link to the update.
    In 1.187 there was a link right on the welcome window when you opened Designer- it showed you what you were running and what the current edition was. Not so in 2.0, apparently.
    Where is the update link?
    ... or do I have to do a re-install for every update?

That link looks to be a whole new install- will it just over-write the existing 2.004?
    I remember we used to just be able to download just the updates.

It will just install over 2.004 as an update. (It is the whole version but that is the way it has always been.)

Alrighty then...
    I installed the update, reformatted the card, uploaded the update as well as re-loading the project, annnnnd........
    Same thing.

Ok, I think that this has to do with the factory calibration of the machine. There are some stored internal numbers which may need to be changed. Unless someone at LHR reads this post, you will have to contact LHR. If the problem is as I think, they will send you a file which will recalibrate those numbers.

That is my best guess as I cannot think of any other reason why the machine would not know the distance between the bit plate and the board surface.

Is it only the 1/16" bit that does not touch the board surface?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I didn't test for that, but it works for homing and the touchplate which are below and above the surface, respectively.
    It worked absolutely fine with the same bit yesterday and all days prior since I got the CX.
    I will, as a thought, try re-mounting the bit in the holder- I check for tightness with each run but... ya never know.
    BRB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast