Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Mill on the Rotary Jig

Default Pepper Mill on the Rotary Jig

Well, the plan worked. I started with a 2 3/4" square blank and cut the top and bottom parts to length from it. Then, on the lathe, I drilled the holes and turned a double ended plug to hold the top and bottom together and a jam chuck to fill the bottom hole. The jam chuck was inserted and trimmed to create a overall length of 9 1/8". The finished height is 7 7/8".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PM with  Jam Chuck.jpg   Pepper Mill.jpg   PM with Plug and Jam Chuck.jpg   PM With Plug and Jam Chuck2.jpg  

Steve

Fantastic, Steve! Great work and very nice outcome!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thanks Michael.
    Steve

Yes! that is a great job and alot of good problem solving on how to hold the work piece.

Thanks Foggycarver. I made 3 attempts before I finally got the one I was satisfied with. Mostly getting the top joint and the bottom length in the right locations. The one shown in the pictures is just the prototype made from a redwood 4 X 4. Fairly cheep wood to practice with.
    Steve

Steve,

Great job sir! Now you lathe guys need to show us non lathe guys some tricks!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Steve,

Great job sir! Now you lathe guys need to show us non lathe guys some tricks!
    Floyd,

I guess you could use the Rotary Jig to carve the plug and the jam chuck but, it might take a few trial and error attempts. They have to fit really snuggly. It would also depend on the accuracy of the drilled holes (wobble). I drilled mine on the lathe but, you could use a drill press. Also, I made notes as I progressed through the trial and error process and if anyone is interested I will post them. Oh, btw, thank you for your kind words.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Floyd,

I guess you could use the Rotary Jig to carve the plug and the jam chuck but, it might take a few trial and error attempts. They have to fit really snuggly. It would also depend on the accuracy of the drilled holes (wobble). I drilled mine on the lathe but, you could use a drill press. Also, I made notes as I progressed through the trial and error process and if anyone is interested I will post them. Oh, btw, thank you for your kind words.
    Yes please share your notes!!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Attached are my notes and the .mpc. I really would like to see others carve this and see their modifications.

EDIT: These instructions are for the Crush Grind mechanism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pepper mill prep for rotary jig.pdf  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve

Steve, nice combination of the CW usage and your lathe.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast