Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture distorting in Designer

Default Picture distorting in Designer

I've done numerous successful lithos, but for some reason I'm having a terrible time with my daughter's wedding photos.

I spoke with the photographer (the new son-in-law's dad) and he said the camera produces pics in RAW format and he converts them to JPEG.

I've tried using the JPEG and I've also converted them to PNG and tried that way, same effect. I've brought them in as 10mb pics and then again at 187kb and several sizes between with no difference noticed.

The pics look great, but when I bring them into Designer 2.004 or .005 either one, and zoom in, my daughter looks like a chipmunk! Depending on the pic, the distortion goes away if you blow it up to between 18 and 24 inches long, but who the heck wants to make a litho That big???

I didn't notice this until I'd carved the first 5x7 and it came out horrible!

I'm attaching one of the pics I've been using, in case someone wants to download it and put it into Designer and see what I mean.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DKJ4.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	68718

What the heck? Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated! Thx, Lee

Just tried it in Designer 2.005 and this is what I got , seems OK to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 2.33.57 AM.png   Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 2.15.20 AM.png  

Make sure that before you bring it onto your virtual board that you don't have the box checked to scale to fit board (right below your pattern list).....

Then, when re-sizing the pic to fit the board, grab a corner and drag diagonally, don't grab an edge.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Naw, Dale, same problem, look at her teeth I can see it now, but if you zoom in you'll see what I mean)...and when I carved it that became even more obvious!

Jerry, since my target is a 5x7 piece of dorian, I resize by typing 6.5 into the length so I get a 1/4" border...never tried it any other way, bu t I'll look at what you suggest and let you know.

Thx, Lee

Lee,

Please post your actual MPC file!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Narrow the gap between white and black on import image. What depth is it? The default .25?

See Lithophane Carving 101 under Tips & Tricks.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I tried to attach the .mpc, Michael, but it tells me it's too large (4mb-ish). Will that decrease if I use a smaller picture maybe?

Connie, I use standard settings for lithos of Depth 0.180 and Height 450...explain narrowing the gap please?

Alright dangit, how do I upload an MPC when the file uploader only allows picture files?

I got the MPC down to 1.5mb, which should meet the upload limit, but it won't go because it isn't a jpg or png...

Is there a different file uploader?

Did you go to Go Advanced - Manage Attachments?

10. Default MPC from scanned photo

So I figured maybe, if I scanned the photo in question, I would alleviate the problem I Think was caused by the original being in RAW format, but nothin doin! Still the same problem of distortion, particularly around my daughter's eyes/nose/mouth.

And thanks for the uploading too, Bergerud!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast