Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vector cut gone haywire bug

Default Vector cut gone haywire bug

The attached mpc is from a bigger project, but I removed the other stuff and just left the failing vector cut. The vector looks fine in Designer, but as you can see goes haywire when machined, adding additional vectors. The vectors were all drawn with Designer 1.187 and cut with 1.187 firmware, but I also loaded the project into Designer 2.004 and ran that firmware with the same result.

I must say, this really ticked me off, as there was 1/2 hour of carving ahead of this, and it was being carved on a glued-up blank that also took a lot of time to prepare. Bad words were spoken.

Trying to finish a large project with many parts so I am going to try to find a work around, maybe break up the single vector into parts, separating the vertices where things went wrong. But this should also be investigated as a bug.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vector test.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	68692 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6306947.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	686.0 KB 
ID:	68693
    Attached Files Attached Files

I did not open the mpc as I am a few updates behind....

My guess it that it is something to do with the yellow locked attachments....

If it were me, I would take this mpc and make it a shallow carve region with the closed path you have.

Then I would use the Outline tool to outline the Carve Region.

Then use that outline and assign the cut path or vector cut.

Delete all the other outlines.

Just use the more stable outline of the carve region...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al, I tried that and I didn't like the result. The outline was not as crisp as the original.

I played around a bit and decided to try the 3/16" bit at .094" offset in place of the 1/8" bit with .063" offset, as it gives the same result except for the radius at the sharp corners which is not an issue for this project. That worked. So I have my work around for now.

I wonder if the problem has to do with the amount of offset and sharpness of the angles at the places where things went bad. I don't really have time to play to find out. Al, I used the yellow constraints to aid in drawing the vector, but now that it has been drawn the yellow constraints could all be removed. Again, I didn't want to take the time to experiment. Hopefully Metallus will look into this.

Hi Dick,

Sorry you had a problem with that. Al had a good suggestion, but I think you will need to offset your existing vector by 0.125" to get your desired size to come out correctly (Tools/Path Offset, enter offset .125).

By all means, contact CarveWright Support and send them the file so they can determine the cause of the problem.

EDIT: I see you discovered a workaround for the moment. Don't depend on Metallus seeing this - he might or might not - contact Support so they are made aware for sure.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 04-03-2014 at 01:15 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    The vector looks fine in Designer, but as you can see goes haywire when machined, adding additional vectors. The vectors were all drawn with Designer 1.187 and cut with 1.187 firmware, but I also loaded the project into Designer 2.004 and ran that firmware with the same result.
    I loaded the mpc into Designer 2.005. Only oddity was a stray white line in designer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	68696

Other than that oddity everything looked fine in 2.005.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    but I think you will need to offset your existing vector by 0.125" to get your desired size to come out correctly (Tools/Path Offset, enter offset .125).
    No, the correct offset in my case is 1/2 the diameter of the bit. With no offset, the center of the bit follows the vector. To align the cut edge with the vector, the offset needs to be 1/2 the bit diameter.

Dick,

Try removing all constraints and attachments. In the past they sometimes caused problems.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post
    I loaded the mpc into Designer 2.005. Only oddity was a stray white line in designer:
    Looks fine in other versions too. Doesn't cut fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post

That's not a stray line...it is the visual indicator of a perfectly horizontal vector. Same thing shows when you create a perfectly vertical vector (of course that visual indicator would be a short vertical line). It's just a visual...it doesn't actually carve.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I think this would be a compiling error, and in a program like Aspire you be able to see the tool paths that are wrong. However the Carvewright is fantastic at compiling even better than Aspire! Have you formatted the card and uploaded it more then once? I would delete the old one on that card re upload and try it on some scrap.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 04-03-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast