Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: deleting pattern when doing a cut out

1. Default

That is so much better! Thank you bunches

2. Default

I initially downloaded vector file, but I didn't know where to go next. I tried to open in Designer, but that was unsuccessful. I did see a vague outline, but not the full map. I noticed that Steve downloaded to Corel Draw, then exported as a DXF. Other than Corel Draw, which I do not have, does that require the 2D drawing add on? Also, what is the cost of Corel Draw, and is there something else I might look at for editing?

I would like to have the capability of carving other states, also.

Thanks for all the help for this newbie. You guys are great

Quote Originally Posted by t-townwilson View Post
    I initially downloaded vector file, but I didn't know where to go next. I tried to open in Designer, but that was unsuccessful. I did see a vague outline, but not the full map. I noticed that Steve downloaded to Corel Draw, then exported as a DXF. Other than Corel Draw, which I do not have, does that require the 2D drawing add on? Also, what is the cost of Corel Draw, and is there something else I might look at for editing?

To begin with, you need the DXF importer add-on. To actually create the .dxf file you will need a 3rd party editing program like Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. However, they can be a little pricey. There are other drawing programs that some of the other users here on the forum use and recommend that work quite well and are a lot less expensive. You could just import the .dxf into the Designer and do most of the editing there but, you will not be able to actually create it.
    Steve

If you generated the path for cutting out the shape by using"outline pattern" I would guess that the pixelation was caused by this. Using "outline pattern" from a carve region follows the edge of the raster carve rendering which is not a smooth edge. If I want a clean edge for cutting I always either create it with lines/curves or import from a clean vector drawing with dxf. I find outline pattern almost useless for cut outs unless the carve region used to create it is a bunch of squares.

Quote Originally Posted by FWMiller View Post
    If you generated the path for cutting out the shape by using"outline pattern" I would guess that the pixelation was caused by this. Using "outline pattern" from a carve region follows the edge of the raster carve rendering which is not a smooth edge. If I want a clean edge for cutting I always either create it with lines/curves or import from a clean vector drawing with dxf. I find outline pattern almost useless for cut outs unless the carve region used to create it is a bunch of squares.
    In my experiences I've found that if you have a pattern that has clean edges the cutout works pretty good. Sometimes, if the pattern has tight radius curves and arcs a pierced carving works better. This can add a significant amount to the carve time.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by t-townwilson View Post

Here are the other states. These are posted in the pattern sharing thread. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ttachment-List

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachm...5&d=1241879566

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachm...6&d=1241879576
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123