Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Designer S/W Manual

Hi Connie, who writes the software? I have no idea how it works elsewhere and that I am not talking about the same exact thing, but when I am hired to write code or even customize a pre-existing plug-in for a website, it is usually my responsibility to also create and supply the client with the user documentation. The reason I ask is if the software was outsourced, shouldn't they have supplied the user manual also?

Jackh: Like you I've been very disappointed by the outdated documentation or lack there of. My solution was to print out the software manual that IS available and ALL of the Tips and Tricks published, put them in some organized fashion in binders and spend lots of time studying them. Also posted lots of questions on the forum and got lots of input and some answers from other users . Still very frustrating that after spending about two years working thru so many issues, there still is nothing else available, especially for a new user. I'm currently slogging thru a "jog to position: question but that's another thread. Even though other users have apparently spent a huge amount of time and effort in the past to document this one question, there is still no clear document or source from the manufacturer that one could go to and get the answers one needs to use the machine.

Like many other products on the market CW's documentation of their product and how to use it is way below the standard of the product itself. Maybe all manuals are written "in America by expert".

In the same vein...AutoCAD is a billion dollar level company and their software comes with almost no documentation as well...but it is for a "professional" user that is supposed to be educated and trained specifically for that software....I use AutoCAD for Dummies...

Quote Originally Posted by ronboley View Post
    Jackh: Like you I've been very disappointed by the outdated documentation or lack there of. My solution was to print out the software manual that IS available and ALL of the Tips and Tricks published, put them in some organized fashion in binders and spend lots of time studying them. Also posted lots of questions on the forum and got lots of input and some answers from other users . Still very frustrating that after spending about two years working thru so many issues, there still is nothing else available, especially for a new user. I'm currently slogging thru a "jog to position: question but that's another thread. Even though other users have apparently spent a huge amount of time and effort in the past to document this one question, there is still no clear document or source from the manufacturer that one could go to and get the answers one needs to use the machine.

Like many other products on the market CW's documentation of their product and how to use it is way below the standard of the product itself. Maybe all manuals are written "in America by expert".

In the same vein...AutoCAD is a billion dollar level company and their software comes with almost no documentation as well...but it is for a "professional" user that is supposed to be educated and trained specifically for that software....I use AutoCAD for Dummies...
    At least you can buy 3rd party books.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    Sorry "It is almost a crime to issue S/W this complex with inadequate/incomplete S/W" documentation.

unable to delete this
    I agree!!!
    Steve

We write the software in-house.

Besides the START U members as suggested, there are also lots of tools to learn the software including Step-by-step tutorials, videos, AskBud, tips and tricks. Look under Support > Getting Started.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Connie,

It's a shame that responsibility falls in your lap. I don't know how you find the time to do the things already do.
    Steve

Sorry but there is no excuse for not having up to date manuals on all software products and releases. I was a professional programmer before I retired and had spent untold hours writing documentation for the programs that I wrote. I really can't believe that updated manuals are not provided. It is a real pain in the butt, however it is a necessary evil. Management is responsible for this.

Bob
    Running Version 1.187

Rock Chuck

Like I said, the new features are covered by videos, which many people (not all), may prefer. Some people have trouble reading and comprehending the information. Some ppl learn by doing, that is why we came up with the step-by-step tutorials. I realize some ppl prefer written, but right now, that is not available beyond the basic.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I bought my machine in Sept. 2012, I've had no experience in a CNC machine just did know something about the x,y,z and that was from being a welder I was always next to a machine shop, I was impressed when the add for carvewright said, "JUST PUSH AND CARVE" I had no concept of the learning curve it would take to carve a project, I went though a lot of wood and I mean a lot of wood..... as I have learned to take care of the machine, I had to learn the programs.. after this amount of time and reading the tutorials and a lot of help here on the forum....In the time of distress.... I feel confident enough do what I want to do with the machine and programs if I'm doing something that I don't know, I ask or look at one of the tutorials referring to what needs to be done. This forum has been a lifeline and a lot of great people. I agree that it needs to be done...The magic wand is still eludeing me but I'll get it...
    Last edited by aokweld101; 03-31-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Actually, I am a visual learner and very much appreciate and prefer video tutorials. While earning my degree, I had used video tutorials on a great deal of subjects and find that they can be a great source of learning. I have also taken a good amount of CBT (computer based training) development courses during my studies. In many cases, seeing something done in action accomplishes just what cannot not easily and clearly be conveyed in writing--even with static pictures and illustrations. When learning some new software or even attempting to acquire further insight on what I use day-to-day, I always search out videos before any written materials.

Having said that, some video tutorials are better than others. Not only in the actual video production and editing but in content and approach. I have not gotten to any of LHR's software tutorials as of yet but have found their maintenance videos extremely helpful. So although I cannot comment on their software tutorials, I do have some insight on tutorials in general.

I have noticed some of the major issues that make some of the "better ones" better and the short comings of the "not so good" ones. I feel that a big problem with some video tutorials is that usually for time considerations, they do not cover "everything" as is expected in a comprehensive written manual--often even when a video tutorial is on a singular topic or feature. Also, unless the tutorial is split up into small chunks either being individual videos or titled sections (with time stamps) for which an index is supplied, it is too time consuming to find specific information you may be looking for. But when done well, indexed properly, and with searchable hyperlinks that jump directly to a section, finding information in a video can be a breeze. I am talking not just a listing of the major titles, but a break down of the finer information within. Again, I don't know if that is something LHR utilizes with their software tutorials, but if it is not, it is something I would highly suggest.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast