Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jog to Position Still a Mystery ?

Default Jog to Position Still a Mystery ?

After scouring the manual, tips and tricks and forum archives I find lots of "jog to position" questions, but few answers. The CW manual mentions this on page 29-30, but fails to explain anything. Page 17 shows "This corner (near left) of the work piece is the coordinate origin for all board measurements". This point is the lower left corner (as viewed from the keypad side of the machine) of the real board, which, IF the real board in the machine and virtual board in designer were the same size, this point of course is the upper right corner of the "virtual board" as viewed in the designer software.

So the questions...usually we follow the advise to make our real boards (or sled or whatever) longer than the virtual board by 7" to stay under the rollers....

If one were going to carve the whole virtual board, is the "jog to position" point the lower left corner of the real carve area (3-1/2" in from the end of the real board) that would correspond to the upper right corner of the virtual board ?

If one were going to carve a portion of the virtual board, is the "jog to position" the lower left point on the real board that would correspond to the upper right corner of the area on the virtual board you wanted to carve?

I know, I'm lazy and always have used the "center on board" to avoid this, but now have a situation that calls for different positioning.

And next...what about "place on corner"...what is definition/location of "corner", on the real board? on the virtual board?

Sure can't find any answers on this so I would appreciate anyone who has actually done this to share the information.

I wrote a T-N-T about that a couple of years ago. It was designed as a hands-on tutorial that was a little confusing.

If you jog to position, whether it is jog to center or jog to edge (or is it corner?), you need to consider the 3.5" for support.
    If you place on corner (not jog), it will position the virtual board on the end of the real board if you DO NOT tell it to stay under the rollers.
    If you tell it to stay under the rollers, it moves the virtual board down the length of the real board 3.5".

I think that is what I wrote back then, I have not done much carving in the past couple of years, and no Jog to position.
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 03-29-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

It would be real nice if someone who does this all the time could do a little write up with examples. I'm also confused about this and have never used it because I don't know what to expect and wood is too expensive to make mistakes on by not knowing what to do. So I've also been sticking to centre on board for now, until I can better understand the jog options.

DocWheeler, do you still have the T-N-T, is it online somewhere? If so could you direct us to it?

Thanks for listening.

...Peter

Quote Originally Posted by jakab View Post
    It would be real nice if someone who does this all the time could do a little write up with examples. I'm also confused about this and have never used it because I don't know what to expect and wood is too expensive to make mistakes on by not knowing what to do. So I've also been sticking to centre on board for now, until I can better understand the jog options.

DocWheeler, do you still have the T-N-T, is it online somewhere? If so could you direct us to it?

Thanks for listening.

...Peter
    This is the TNT on jigs/carrier boards, sleds and rails... http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_Apr08.pdf
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks Floyd, I will read it again.
    ...Peter

Floyd and Peter,

The T-N-T on jigs is not what I was talking about, I wrote another one about "Positioning" that was never published.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

- Thomas Jefferson

- Mohandas Gandhi

Add me to the list as another one that is confused by this.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    Floyd and Peter,

The T-N-T on jigs is not what I was talking about, I wrote another one about "Positioning" that was never published.
    Ken,

My bad, I knew you wrote this one so went to it because it was on some of the sled questions. I really can not address most of the jog questions other than the one for finding surface.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default Unedited T-N-T

I looked up the 2011 T-N-T and created a pdf.
    It takes four mpc files to work as designed.

I really need to go over it again to see if commands have changed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Positioning.pdf  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

- Thomas Jefferson

- Mohandas Gandhi

DocWheeler...I have the TNT and read it before posting the questions to start this thread...I read it again and I'm still soooo confused....ha...I'm hoping someone has actually used this feature and understands it enough to enlighten us poor lazy souls...I'm so lazy I remade my mpc files on my current project so as to use "center on board" rather than figure it out or run tests. When I get some spare time I'll set up a test and try different settings to flesh this out but in the mean time on with carving...thanks for your input...I really appreciate the people who take the time to respond to questions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast