Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sled

Yep...just learned that from you yesterday...the learning curve goes on and on and on....Thanks!

Ron,

I was thinking after I wrote that, perhaps if you used black paint or black
    electrical tape to cover the inner 3/4" of your rails, you could still do it.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

What I do and i have over 30 production sleds that i make a asortment of guitars violins amd mandolins, is the following:

Decide the size of your part in my case its 16x8 in designer make a project board that's 10" longer than you part and 2" wider, 26x10 draw a box to the part size 16x8 and center it.

Assign a bit to the box .03 deep in z that you made and upload to the card, place a a 3/4 thick plywood base in the CW that's oversize by .50" in this case the board would be 26.5" x 10.5"

Run the program and use " keep the same" and "place on corner" cut to size no. now you have indexed a placement the corresponds to designer as 1:1 .

pull the sled bottom out of the machine and add 3/4 " dead wood to the lines that designer made, glue and clamp it. Now you have a sled with 4" tails 1" space on each ends to screw the wood down to hold it. When loading the the sled just place the tail under the truck and you will never have a issue indexing the part.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 04-01-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    What I do and i have over 30 production sleds that i make a asortment of guitars violins amd mandolins, is the following:

Decide the size of your part in my case its 16x8 in designer make a project board that's 10" longer than you part and 2" wider, 26x10 draw a box to the part size 16x8 and center it.

Assign a bit to the box .03 deep in z that you made and upload to the card, place a a 3/4 thick plywood base in the CW that's oversize by .50" in this case the board would be 26.5" x 10.5"

Run the program and use " keep the same" and "place on corner" cut to size no. now you have indexed a placement the corresponds to designer as 1:1 .

pull the sled bottom out of the machine and add 3/4 " dead wood to the lines that designer made, glue and clamp it. Now you have a sled with 4" tails 1" space on each ends to screw the wood down to hold it. When loading the the sled just place the tail under the truck and you will never have a issue indexing the part.
    I wondered when one of you would chime in. You guys should definitely be paying attention now. One of the sled gurus has joined in. LG definitely broke it down for me barney style and learned me.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Lovely. So can the rails of the sled be .5" thick only? I would like to work with a 13.5" mold width.

With the 13.5" width (between rails on the sled), is it possible to run 12" wide carves? Sounds like a dumb question, but what I am trying to figure out is if it is unwise to be telling the machine its carving, when in fact the bit isn't contacting anything at all for an inch or so...

I think I know what you are trying to do and I do not see the need for a sled at all. Why can you not just carve your mold cavity in the middle of a 14.5" wide piece of MDF (or glued stack of pieces) and then cut off the sides in the end? Do you not have a table or band saw?

This post was meant for another thread...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by opensores View Post
    This post was meant for another thread...
    You are getting the error because the depth of the carve is 1.25" and the max depth you can carve with the 1/16" carving bit is 0.800" and to top edge of the slice goes way deeper than the base of the pattern. See attached image. This probably has more to do with the error than the carving bit as when I tried to change the pattern bit to the 1/8" long I kept getting the error.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deep cut edge.PNG  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123