Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rotary Jig set up in the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Adding a little more to the setup. After the blank was mounted I tried rolling the mechanism to make sure everything was okay. It rolled smoothly most of the way around but, at a specific spot it would sort of drag and felt like there was a rough spot. A drop of chain lube with moly on the bearings solved the roughness.
    Thanks for the tip! How were you rolling it?

On your other post before this one, That is why I asked the question .
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Either we are talking about different things or I'm confused. In the video, Joe specifically states that the jig sets on the squaring plate and the sliding plate.

These are the exact quotes from the video:

"Set the jig on the squaring plate with the tab slotted into the space behind the tracking roller."
    "Move the sliding plate over so the jig sets on top of it and the tab fits into the center slot"

I just finished a flawless 4 hour carve with the jig set like this. Michael was right. It over carved about 5%.
    Hi Steve,

Glad the first carve went flawlessly! Fun stuff isn't it?!

I think what Joe meant to say in the video was to set the jig "over the top of" the sliding plate not "on". I can see where the choice of words could be taken wrong. He didn't mean that it would literally "touch" or "rest upon" the plate(s). As you can tell, the jig cannot touch the plates anyway, as the drive mechanism and rollers keep it slightly raised above them (on purpose).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

The first (like Dan's) metal tabs were hand made. Subsequent ones were machined, but they were slightly large. We've been filing them down here by hand during our assembly. It wouldn't surprise me that we missed one or didn't file some of them enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallus View Post
    The first (like Dan's) metal tabs were hand made. Subsequent ones were machined, but they were slightly large. We've been filing them down here by hand during our assembly. It wouldn't surprise me that we missed one or didn't file some of them enough.
    Thanks for the info!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Steve,

Glad the first carve went flawlessly! Fun stuff isn't it?!

I think what Joe meant to say in the video was to set the jig "over the top of" the sliding plate not "on". I can see where the choice of words could be taken wrong. He didn't mean that it would literally "touch" or "rest upon" the plate(s). As you can tell, the jig cannot touch the plates anyway, as the drive mechanism and rollers keep it slightly raised above them (on purpose).
    Michael,

You're right. The belt-drive and the rollers on the jig are far enough below the aluminum end plates so the aluminum end plates can't touch the squaring plate or the sliding plate regardless of where they are placed. Its the aluminum end plates that I was referring to in my previous post. However, by sliding the jig over as far to the left (keyboard end) as possible allows more of the tracking roller to be exposed to the belt-drive on the jig. I think this was the problem on the first calibration attempt . I'm not sure though.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Metallus View Post
    Thanks Metallus. At least now I know I didn't do the wrong thing by filing down the tabs. Also, I did try to maintain a snug fit without having to force the tab into the slot.
    Steve

Thanks Metallus. At least now I know I didn't do the wrong thing by filing down the tabs. Also, I did try to maintain a snug fit without having to force the tab into the slot.
    Good deal! Now we know.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123