Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotary Scanning Sled

" The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

AskBud was using the old rotary jig. I have one that I built. I know that you can scan with that, so why not with the new factory made one?
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Clint see post #8. At least that is my thought on the scanning with the new one.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

The scanning probe can scan quite deep. I think I have gone to 1.5" and thought it was possible to more. One could also extend the probe in, for example, the ER11 adapter to get down further.

The only problem is, I think, that the result will have to be scaled in the x direction because the length would be based on the arc length of the of the jig sprocket and not the dowel. That is no big deal.

just scanned in draft mode and it did not work. I will have to try another in a better setting . as far as the x goes I used a 2 inch so couldn't say about anything else. depth of scan was roughly 1.5

Brent

this was a partial scan on a 2" dowel on normal. When I saved the pattern it had a depth of 1.44 so i had compensate for that when I put it on the project. Looks like it will work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 6.34.41 PM.png  

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The scanning probe can scan quite deep. I think I have gone to 1.5" and thought it was possible to more. One could also extend the probe in, for example, the ER11 adapter to get down further.

The only problem is, I think, that the result will have to be scaled in the x direction because the length would be based on the arc length of the of the jig sprocket and not the dowel. That is no big deal.

The max depth/height of the scanning probe is mostly determined by the plastic housing. So long as you don't have a sudden drop or step up that would hit the plastic housing, you are ok.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Now I'm interested. I had a guy ask me the other day if I could make a missile. Sounds like I need to get my hands on one...
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Works for me. Scanning right now.

Edit: Added evidence!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 03-26-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Don't you just love it when they say it cannot be done?
    Like you said in your post.
    Nice going Dan, and thanks for posting it as a PTN.
    For everyone, a PTN file created in 2.005, or created through the rotary software (still ver 2.005) can be read in designer 1.187. But if the project file (MPC) is posted from designer 2.x we on version 1.187 can not open it. So please if you are using designer 2.x please post the PTN file so everyone can enjoy your work and please post an image as well as the pattern file.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Images are good especially for us viewing this on iPhone and no Designer.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12