Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Scanning Sled

Default Rotary Scanning Sled

Has anyone successfully built a sled to scan rotary ?

If I remember, Bud used to do rotary scans with Ed Baker's rotary jig. I have not really thought too much about it or tried it, but , it seems to me that one could just use the rotary jig to scan rotary objects. How would the machine know the difference? Something that just has to be tried.

Now that I have a second to think about it, there will be a scaling problem in the x direction. If the rotary object has a different radius than the rotary drive wheel, the x will not be scaled right. I suppose one just has to correct that later. Give it a try and report!

Bud was doing scans using a sled. But he is no longer with us. He used a modified Ed Baker rotary jig. Leo uses the same jig, maybe he will give you more infor.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    If I remember, Bud used to do rotary scans with Ed Baker's rotary jig. I have not really thought too much about it or tried it, but , it seems to me that one could just use the rotary jig to scan rotary objects. How would the machine know the difference? Something that just has to be tried.

Now that I have a second to think about it, there will be a scaling problem in the x direction. If the rotary object has a different radius than the rotary drive wheel, the x will not be scaled right. I suppose one just has to correct that later. Give it a try and report!
    I was thinking of just adding a short piece of round stock on each end of the piece so that would be the reference for x.
    May build one so I can scan on one machine whilst the other is carving.

See this thread http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...Patterns/page7 starting at first post.
    Also I believe Metalus stated you can not scan with the new LHR jig.
    see this thread
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ary-Jig/page15
    post #36
    Last edited by eelamb; 03-26-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Also I believe Metalus stated you can not scan with the new LHR jig.
    Don't you just love it when they say it cannot be done?

Why does it not work with the scanner? You jog to the start and end points. The machine thinks you are using a flat board.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I have a feeling it is due to the depths possible with the new jig. Where as Ed's jig was within the 1" abilities of the probe.
    So if you stay within the probe limits, it can be done.

Eddie

I also see no reason the scanner wouldn't work as long as the workpiece doesn't interfere with the probe. The machine doesn't know that the rotary jig is there.

I am pretty sure that Bud had a video on this, and they are on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Bud was doing scans using a sled. But he is no longer with us. He used a modified Ed Baker rotary jig. Leo uses the same jig, maybe he will give you more infor.
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast