Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial

Default Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial

Has anyone come across a PTN (or STL) for the bas relief carving on Georgia's Stone Mountain? I've had several clients mention they would really like this in a plaque size rendition. I've searched everywhere I can think of but nothing has come to light in 2.5 or 3D. Here's a fairly good photo that might key your memories Folks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stone Mountain carving.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	68497

I'd consider doing a scan but the full size carving is big enough that a man can stand upright inside the nostril of Gen. Lee's horse so it will not fit into the CW's scanning sled. Would appreciate any leads you might suggest. Thanks
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

See if this will work. It should make an awesome carve.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by blhutchens View Post
    See if this will work. It should make an awesome carve.

Brent
    Bruce and Brent,

I have had the Stone Mountain on my "make model" ta-do list for about a year or so. My attorney is an amateur historian and collects all kinds of Civil War stuff. My plan is to surprise him with a wall carving of the Stone Mountain scene 'someday'. I have photos of both the carving as it exists today as well as what it was originally "supposed" to be (see photo). It would be a LOT more work to create a model of the original design, so I'll probably not attempt it - but - maybe I will.

Brent, I tried your STL and can't make any sense of it. I was hopeful because it might have given me a short cut to actually creating this carving. So, I do appreciate your attempt to be helpful! (The STL does not seem to import properly into Designer nor a couple other programs I use. It also appears to be a low-poly model too.) I also added a screenshot of what the STL looks like when importing into designer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails postcard_vintage_confederate_memorial_monument_on_stone_mountain_ga_8e867d0a.jpg   screenshot-of-brents-stl.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-27-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: added a small photo of the original design
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    Has anyone come across a PTN (or STL) for the bas relief carving on Georgia's Stone Mountain? I've had several clients mention they would really like this in a plaque size rendition. I've searched everywhere I can think of but nothing has come to light in 2.5 or 3D. Here's a fairly good photo that might key your memories Folks

Name:	Stone Mountain carving.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	68497

I'd consider doing a scan but the full size carving is big enough that a man can stand upright inside the nostril of Gen. Lee's horse so it will not fit into the CW's scanning sled. Would appreciate any leads you might suggest. Thanks
    Hi Bruce;
    I made a grayscale image with my ShaderMap Pro program from the image you posted, not that great, If you would like the file send me a PM with your e-mail I can send it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stine MT test.JPG   Stine MT test 2.JPG  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

[QUOTE=mtylerfl;225098]Bruce and Brent,

I have had the Stone Mountain on my "make model" ta-do list for about a year or so. My attorney is an amateur historian and collects all kinds of Civil War stuff. My plan is to surprise him with a wall carving of the Stone Mountain scene 'someday'. I have photos of both the carving as it exists today as well as what it was originally "supposed" to be (see photo). It would be a LOT more work to create a model of the original design, so I'll probably not attempt it - but - maybe I will.

Brent, I tried your STL and can't make any sense of it. I was hopeful because it might have given me a short cut to actually creating this carving. So, I do appreciate your attempt to be helpful! (The STL does not seem to import properly into Designer nor a couple other programs I use. It also appears to be a low-poly model too.) I also added a screenshot of what the STL looks like when importing into designer..

Yea……It was not a complete stl they had pictures of the horse heads stuck on their model. Tried to import a good image without much success .ptn was too large to upload

Here is the file in OJB with all the extra removed. Lost one of the horses, but it can be recreated.

BJB, it looks good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stone mountain-obj.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Thank you for all you have suggested, tried and offered Gentlemen. I did PM you BJ and will look forward to what you made with ShaderMap Pro.
    I may try carving that oversize and then take the plank over to the Park and work from life to detail it further with my hand carving tools and some Sculpy Clay. Then it can be scanned back in for a better digital file.

Will keep everyone advised as I work on this slowly this summer. Again many thanks.

Name:	St Mt Carving.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	68558 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone-mountain-exhibit-0541.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	68559 For some reason the Museum won't let me take this original model home to scan it . . .
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Bruce I believe we have all wanted at some point to make that pattern. Why I cleaned up the STL file and posted it as OBJ file, figuring someone can take it as Michael said and finish it up.
    I am still looking at the best way to clean up the mesh to make it easier to work with. I keep saying to myself hmmm if I, hmmm if I, but have not done anything yet.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    Thank you for all you have suggested, tried and offered Gentlemen. I did PM you BJ and will look forward to what you made with ShaderMap Pro.
    I may try carving that oversize and then take the plank over to the Park and work from life to detail it further with my hand carving tools and some Sculpy Clay. Then it can be scanned back in for a better digital file.

Will keep everyone advised as I work on this slowly this summer. Again many thanks.

Name:	St Mt Carving.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	68558 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone-mountain-exhibit-0541.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	68559 For some reason the Museum won't let me take this original model home to scan it . . .

Perhaps if you talk to them about the Smithsonian doing exactly that, see http://3d.si.edu/ with their collection you can convince them to consider doing the scanning themselves.

dave

Is the Smithsonian site open to anyone? I tried registering using my aol.com email address and it doesn't seem to like it. There are some very interesting models here that might make great projects if they can be downloaded and imported into STL Importer. Wanted to play around but can't get registered ;-(
    Tracy

World's largest supplier of custom carved firewood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast