Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Jig Software

Default Rotary Jig Software

Starting a new section for the software questions and answers for the new rotary jig. No clues how to set it up like the other software sub forums. Connie said she will set it up tomorrow.

First question I have is on the diameter reading is shows on the bottom of the screen when you mouse over the board.

One one thing I am working on I see dia. (1.500-1.623). I was trying to figure this out and then the light got turned on.
    I did a carve region of .250 depth and the dia. number is 1.500. So for my readings about this is telling me that my pattern/drawing is not a true rounded object.

Is that correct?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Starting a new section for the software questions and answers for the new rotary jig. No clues how to set it up like the other software sub forums. Connie said she will set it up tomorrow.

First question I have is on the diameter reading is shows on the bottom of the screen when you mouse over the board.

One one thing I am working on I see dia. (1.500-1.623). I was trying to figure this out and then the light got turned on.
    I did a carve region of .250 depth and the dia. number is 1.500. So for my readings about this is telling me that my pattern/drawing is not a true rounded object.

Is that correct?
    Floyd

I think it is displaying the diameter range of that region. If I pass the mouse pointer over the letters or anywhere on the region parallel to the letters I get the dual readings. Anywhere else above or below the letters it's just a single reading. I'm not positive about this. If someone else has a definitive answer I would be interested also.

EDIT: It seems to do the same thing on a pattern or surface applied to a region.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pepper Mil.png  
    Steve

I think you guys are right. Horizontal, constant depth lines on the left display pane display correspond to centered circles on the rotary carving. When the mouse is over these lines, you get one number - the diameter of the circle. If the pattern changes depth as you go around the dowel (still along a horizontal line in the left pane) the display gives the min and max diameter. That is, the diameters of the two circles that the pattern falls between as it varies in depth around the dowel.

I made two different versions of Brian's deer call. The one made with a sweep rounded vector the carved diameter is a constant single number at any area I mouse over. The one made from creating a stl file shows two numbers just about in any area. I am guessing this is from not having a true even rounded object.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rotary jig dia.png  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I guess the STL was not exactly centered when you exported it to the rotary.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I guess the STL was not exactly centered when you exported it to the rotary.
    Guess I would not rule that out but guessing I goofed when I made the STL.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

I would like someone with the software to do an experiment for me. I want to see if a vertical extrusion can produce a rounded rectangle - like if you clipped the corners of a rectangle and rounded them then slightly rounded the flat sides. If that works, see if you can additive a horizontal shape to make some kind of taper. I am looking at legs for a heavy chair (a throne actually).
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I don't have the jig or software yet, but if I did and were going to join pieces to make a longer table leg, here is how I would do it: Make the part-off at one end 1" dia x 1" long. When the piece is turned and removed from the jig, chuck the 1" tennon in my lathe and drill a 1" deep hole in the other end with a 1" forester bit. Fit several turn together this way and it should be very strong.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I do not have either Yet but couldn't a full size leg be sliced up in the stl importer or another software.

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    I would like someone with the software to do an experiment for me. I want to see if a vertical extrusion can produce a rounded rectangle - like if you clipped the corners of a rectangle and rounded them then slightly rounded the flat sides. If that works, see if you can additive a horizontal shape to make some kind of taper. I am looking at legs for a heavy chair (a throne actually).
    Clint
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    Clint
    I this what you are talking about?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 8.55.04 PM.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast