Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical rods

Default Vertical rods

Is there a way to verify if one of my vertical rod is crooked? Can't get a good head pressure even by leveling it and very hard to crank up or down at some point.

Cold there?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Have you tried to loosen the four posts at the bottom? Take a close look at the rod threads near where it gets stiff.

I had a simular problem not to long ago the clutch had dust built up, took it apart, cleaned up the clutch lubed the threads up, cleaned the four post and it was good to go. it was a simple fix

The clutch is taken apart and cleaned often and the posts as well. I have tried leveling the head 3 times by following the manual and still, the head pressure is not good. Every time I move the head up, I have to bring it down manually for a bit and than it's ok.

To verify how level your head is, put a wide board in the machine and crank the head down. Go to the user sensor checks (0,7) and arrow down to the Z readings. Put in the 1/8" bit and push the head down until the bit touches the board on the keyboard side, record the Z reading. Repeat this in the center of the board and the far edge. Look at the difference in the readings. If there is a big difference from one edge to the other your head is not level.

Also see how much play you have on the two bevel gears on the bottom of the machine that work with the lead screws.

Your problem might not be so much of head level but more the 4 corner posts not being aligned straight with each other. Not being aligned will effect getting good head pressure.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Putting some thin oil down the 4 smooth posts letting it carry the hard gunk out of the sleeve bearings. Doing the same with the 2 jacking screws... Making sure you clean up all the oil to prevent a future fire... Remember since the clutch is at the crank, and friction in the 4 smooth bearings and even the threads of the jacking screws adds up and the end result, the clicks release at the proper time but you need to subtract the loss due to the friction and the pressure is reduced....

Cold and make things have more friction...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thank you all again for your precious help!

I had this same problem, couldn't get pressure right and it was hard to lower/raise. Turn machine over and remove bottom cover, check the screws holding the rod up to the screw posts, mine was broken but the wiring harness kept it held up enough that it didn't slip, but would somewhat bind up..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cw broke.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	68189

That's exactly what I did yesterday and realized that one the screws was loose and my head was not leveled at all. Fixed the problem and now head pressure is good. Will try the Mrs. CW today to see if it fixed the cutout problem that I have again.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonswamp View Post
    I had this same problem, couldn't get pressure right and it was hard to lower/raise. Turn machine over and remove bottom cover, check the screws holding the rod up to the screw posts, mine was broken but the wiring harness kept it held up enough that it didn't slip, but would somewhat bind up..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cw broke.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	68189

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast