Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muffler bag issues

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Oh, yeah. It was the orange color that made me think it was something "electrical"! I remember years ago when Jeff Birt came up with the blower (air push) idea. I believe he still uses that along with 'vac pull' from the bottom slot of the machine. I was thinking the slot vac might be something pratical for rotary use. Not sure...I would have to re-look at what's under the machine to see if that's feasible or not.
    Actually I changed that out to the clear tubing as it is not as stiff as the orange tube. The down draft probably would be good when carving with the rotary jig. My machine is still set up with the down draft box and I use it when ever I am doing cut outs. It helps pull the dust down and out of the cut outs while carving. I will for sure give it a test when I set up my first carve with the jig.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Floyd,

I'm working on the same idea you mentioned to route the motor exhaust port air around through a tube or pipe and join into your collector some how. If you come up with a connector before me how about sharing your experience with us. Thanks
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    Floyd,

I'm working on the same idea you mentioned to route the motor exhaust port air around through a tube or pipe and join into your collector some how. If you come up with a connector before me how about sharing your experience with us. Thanks
    Bruce,

I sure will if I find a good fitting. What I was thinking of is not going into the dc-insert but tapping into the 4" DC hose..

Something like this.. 4" to 2" see item G

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,42401,62597
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Bruce and Floyd, I have done the same thing with my dust muffler , I split off from my vac system
    go straight to dust port using the first piece from the sock muffler and a 2" hose and I believe it works very well.
    When I take it off there is not particles left in the motor.

I will try and find some pictures of my connections and post them later.

Perry B.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Default Dust port hose hook up

Here is my hook up to the dust port.
    Because of the weight of the hose, I attached a wire that supports the hose and keeps it tight in the dust port hole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shop Vac hookups 003.JPG  
    My Shop 1044

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    the fool to the left."

Maybe I am not correct in my thinking, but to me routing the cut motor exhaust into the dust collector reduces the effectiveness of the dust hood. If I route my 600 CFM dust collector straight to my dust hood, I have 600 CFM available at the hood. But, if I add a Y and feed the cut motor exhaust in, and it produces oh say 100 CFM on it's own, don't I still have only 600 CFM going into the dust collector, and now only 500 CFM at the dust hood?

Dick B you are right, the part you don't see, is I have a 1500 cfm vac system connected to both of the machines, that way
    I can split up the cfm. The vac system is also for the rest of the tools when I'm not using the C W's.
    That is a good point about the 650 cfm.

Perry B.
    My Shop 1044

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    the fool to the left."

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Maybe I am not correct in my thinking, but to me routing the cut motor exhaust into the dust collector reduces the effectiveness of the dust hood. If I route my 600 CFM dust collector straight to my dust hood, I have 600 CFM available at the hood. But, if I add a Y and feed the cut motor exhaust in, and it produces oh say 100 CFM on it's own, don't I still have only 600 CFM going into the dust collector, and now only 500 CFM at the dust hood?
    Very true, it will probably reduce the cfms at the machine. Guess that is why I have not done it yet plus what I have now is working well.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Good points on this "next possible addition" and while it would reasonably take away something from the total CFM being extracted through the dust collector hood I have a slightly different idea. Since the port where the current motor muffler dust sock is small to begin with, I think I'll look at just taking that same cross sectional area pipe out to the 4" dia hose whether it connects through the side of the hood or direct into the hose. My key objective with this is to take all the fine dust I can into my bag filter now that it is a 1 micron felt bag and eliminate what goes right through the motor port muffler/sock. Everything I can keep out of my lungs is my objective.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by myshop1044 View Post
    I have a 1500 cfm vac system connected to both of the machines, that way
    I can split up the cfm.
    Nice! Wish I had the space!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast