Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shocks while using the carvewright CX

Default Shocks while using the carvewright CX

does anyone else have an issue with getting shocked and also feeling electricity when they touch their z truck and other areas of the machine. I think I might have an issue with the machine.

Sounds like a grounding issue. Use a voltmeter and check the frame/metal of the carver to a known good ground source for A/C. Also verify your neutral to ground and to the 'hot side, sometimes an open neutral will give strange effects. Definitely resolve the issue, not good for you or the carver.

Rick H.

Are you talking static shocks or 60 Hz shocks? Do you feel a tick or do you feel a buzz?

What kind of flooring is it on?

It is on a concrete floor on top of a wooden bench. I mean a buzz, not just a shock.

That is not good. The CX has a new power supply, maybe there is a problem with it. Maybe just some wires crossed. Better call LHR on Monday. You may have to send it in.

Before you call LHR you are going to want to confirm that your power outlet is wired properly... One of the testers with the lights will be the fastest... It has lights to show a properly wired outlet....

Next I would use a volt meter to measure from the ground of the outlet box to the metal parts of the machine....

And do you have a EXTRA Ground Rod installed in your Power System... If you DO then this could be a "Ground Loop" Problem... This is where the 2nd ground causes the actual ground AFTER the 2nd Ground to be a few volts above the actual Earth Ground at the Power Meter...

Next... do you have a Dust collection system? That will cause static voltage....

Lastly.... Standing on a Cement floor.... It is possible to get SHOCKED..... Try to find something Insulated and stand on it and see if the shock goes away... Remember Voltage will seek the path of least resistance to GROUND.... EVEN if it is through YOU and your HEART....

This is VERY IMPORTANT to solve.... QUICKLY..... I remember as a kid standing on a new house gound wet wooden floor that was wet from the nights rain and I picked up a Metal Electric Drill that was plugged in and got ZAPPED....

Like posted above, IF a outlet is wired WRONG, the frame of the machine could have VOLTAGE on it....

AL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Receptacle_tester
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Hello...This is Chris H. I am a Carvewright phone customer support agent / Hardware Tech...and CW user. I am also an experienced, registered apprentice electrician with the state of Texas. This is the first report I have heard of this issue. This issue has to be a grounding problem as mentioned previously. I doubt the power supply is faulty, but you may want to carefully inspect the wires and cables for any bare, damaged wiring as well as inspect and test your shops electrical circuitry.
    Did the problem just start randomly or has it been ongoing since you got the machine? All of these machines go through a very stringent QA testing process before they leave our shop, so it is very unlikely the machine is faulty. We would have found this issue during the QA process I can assure you.
    Before you call us, test your electrical system in the shop. Look for a ground fault. Look for damaged wires. And as mentioned earlier, if you are using a DC system, make sure it is also grounded to avoid static buildup.
    Let us know what you find!!

Given that the machine is isolated on a wooden workbench with no DC attached, a 60 Hz shock coming from the machine casing could only be the fault of the machine. The machine is apparently failing to be "double insulated". There must be moisture, sawdust, or something making an unwanted connection from the circuitry to the case.

I would remove the bottom of the machine with it un plugged and look for a pinched wire.... And if you could snap a few pictures of the CX bottom of the Machine for me as I will likely never see one hands on.... I want to see the Power Supply close up....

The Double Insulated usually is for the Cut Motor design. IF voltage is leaking to the case, it is likely a pinched wire....

Testing the Home Power is really important too and cannot be disreguarded... It is the starting point for this.... And Path of Least Resistance... Standing on a Cement Floor... That is the path to ground that is a factor too... 100 users on a dry floor and everything OK... One user with Leather Sole Shoes on Cement and ZAP.... If anyone remembers the old Tube Radios of the 60's... I was playing with one as a kid and replaced the plug... It had one of the 2 wire plugs with a WIDER spade.... Designed to plug into a AC Outlet ONLY ONE WAY... With the Bigger Spade in the Neutral or White wire of the Outlet and the thinner one in the HOT slot. They DO this as the early radios the Neutral Wire was connected Directly to the METAL Case of the radio. I replaced the plug with a Lamp cord version with the Spades BOTH the SAME Size.... First Time I plugged it in to test it, 50/50, I got it right.... The 2nd time I plugged it in... I reversed it and picked it up and was holding 115 Volts AC and getting shocked through my leather shoes..... I had NO CLUE.... Dropped it and was still alive. Took it to a Radio Repair Buddy and he explained the facts of LIFE to me about OLD Radios....

For the CX to have PASSED the UL Tests..... It cannot be a Design Problem.... But a Pinched Wire.... YES... OR a House Wiring Problem... Yes...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast