Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long carving bit,bad lesson

Thanks too all When the new bit arrives and some modifications are made I will HOPEFULLY be able to give a success story. If you take a peak at blogs you will see the pine wood derby car that I was trying to copy for my grand sons up coming race. Sorry about you breaking a bit also Michael Guess it is a learning curve as long as I learn from it. Again thanks to all the responses, Mike

Here I am again,, Can anyone shed some light on why when draft is added to this, The top Bezier gets the mountain effect that it does.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by ekimnamyr View Post
    Here I am again,, Can anyone shed some light on why when draft is added to this, The top Bezier gets the mountain effect that it does.
    I don't know why it does that...might have something to do with the mirroring of the rail sweep vector. I have a suggestion...select your sweeps and the two rectangles for the wheel axles and Group, then Make Pattern. Try using the PTN itself instead of the sweeps and separate components. I'll bet the draft will 'behave itself' then (if you even need it). I just tried to do it for you, but am locked out with the message 'one or more patterns belong to someone else' which I think is actually an erroneous message, but it is what it is.

Most times, it's 'best practice' to use the Make Pattern feature anyway on sweeps and such. That way you avoid any 'weirdness' that can occur from directly using them. In other words, you will then be working with a PTN and it's generally a lot easier that way anyhow (for example, if you need to rotate something, you MUST create a PTN first).
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-21-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

will give it a shot Michael Thanks for the input. Mike;

Tried your suggestion Michael, But still has the same issue maybe a little worse, it gets the mountain effect with raising the bit optimizing now ??

Your problem is that the top edge of the car is not smooth like it is on the bottom edge. I removed the draft settings and you can see that the top has bumps. When draft is applied in magnifies them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pinewood derby car btm.PNG   pinewood derby car top.PNG  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Yep, that looks a little goofy. Turn off the Draft...you don't need it. Also, turn off the Floor Feather (uncheck the box). Turn off the feather on the pinewood.You'll still see a "rim" of spikes on the upper side of the car.

Draw a rectangle, add a .25" feather (not flipped), make it a Carve Region and set the depth to 1.249". Make the rectangle "Additive Merge". Select Clip Carving: Exclusive for the pinewood pattern (leave the merge setting at normal). This should get rid of all the strange anomalies at the top edge of the pinewood pattern.

Adjust the rectangle size to make sense for carving. I included an MPC example for you to look at, with all the above settings. (It has the default tapered 1/16" bit...of course you will need to change that to the bit you will be actually using.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-22-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Ah yes I can see it now,, Thanks Floyd
    Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Your problem is that the top edge of the car is not smooth like it is on the bottom edge. I removed the draft settings and you can see that the top has bumps. When draft is applied in magnifies them.

That is what I am looking For Michael..... I'll make the changes and the new bit should be here and will give an update thanks for the instructions Michael, really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Yep, that looks a little goofy. Turn off the Draft...you don't need it. Also, turn off the Floor Feather (uncheck the box). Turn off the feather on the pinewood.You'll still see a "rim" of spikes on the upper side of the car.

Draw a rectangle, add a .25" feather (not flipped), make it a Carve Region and set the depth to 1.249". Make the rectangle "Additive Merge". Select Clip Carving: Exclusive for the pinewood pattern (leave the merge setting at normal). This should get rid of all the strange anomalies at the top edge of the pinewood pattern.

Adjust the rectangle size to make sense for carving. I included an MPC example for you to look at, with all the above settings. (It has the default tapered 1/16" bit...of course you will need to change that to the bit you will be actually using.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12