Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rotary Jig

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    So for a whole lot of us the actual cost will be $200 for 2.0, plus $350 for the jig, plus $80 for the bit. Any chance there will be a bundle to make it less than $630?

dave
    As mentioned add the rubber traction belts, if you do not have them, then if you have the ROCK, you may need the carvetight chuck on top of that.
    The jig and the software look well worth the price of $350, if you want to do rotary carvings. For me the cost would be close to $1,000 to get there. Mine is purely a hobby machine, used rarely now days.

As Connie said it is a wish list and not a necessity. Mine works great the way it is.
    Last edited by eelamb; 03-19-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

2. Default

I'd have to come up with $630 and then $140 for the belts. That's $770. It looks like a good thing. I would love to have this set up. I already got STL Importer.

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    I have been trying to get a spiral effect with the new software. Any ideas
    Hi Leo,

I just carved a barley twist this afternoon. I'll include my MPC and a couple pics.

Basic steps as I recall:

On the Rotary MPC (11"x1.406 dia. x1.406 part off dia.), I drew a rectangle (no particular size, as I was just playing around). I then used the puff/round to create a .5" puff. I grouped this then selected Make Pattern. I deleted my rectangle puff and replaced it with the new PTN I just created. I angled it to 43 degrees, then used Array Copy/vertical to make a bunch of copies. then played around with arranging the copy group until I came up with the final MPC. I used a 11.5"-long piece of standard 2x2 pine to place into the jig.

The carve does yield slightly raised seams all around, since I cannot tweak the angle in fractions (only whole numbers). But, I just sanded them off after the carve was done. Also, every rotary carve will purposely overcarve by about 3%. In this case, I noticed the overcarve was creating a slight visible line that would need to be sanded out, so I just stopped at 101%. The wood itself was flexing on its own and was the cause of the "marks"...not because of the jig or bit slip or anything of the sort...it's just a natural occurrence for freshly machined wood.

I left the wood in the jig for sanding. I've found it makes a handy/dandy "holder" for sanding in the round!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carved-barley-twist-11_inches-long.jpg   sanded-while-on-jig.jpg   screenshot-of-mpc.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-19-2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added mpc screenshot photo
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Leo,

I just carved a barley twist this afternoon. I'll include my MPC and a couple pics.

Basic steps as I recall:

On the Rotary MPC (11"x1.406 dia. x1.406 part off dia.), I drew a rectangle (no particular size, as I was just playing around). I then used the puff/round to create a .5" puff. I grouped this then selected Make Pattern. I deleted my rectangle puff and replaced it with the new PTN I just created. I angled it to 43 degrees, then used Array Copy/vertical to make a bunch of copies. then played around with arranging the copy group until I came up with the final MPC. I used a 11.5"-long piece of standard 2x2 pine to place into the jig.

The carve does yield slightly raised seams all around, since I cannot tweak the angle in fractions (only whole numbers). But, I just sanded them off after the carve was done. Also, every rotary carve will purposely overcarve by about 3%. In this case, I noticed the overcarve was creating a slight visible line that would need to be sanded out, so I just stopped at 101%. The wood itself was flexing on its own and was the cause of the "marks"...not because of the jig or bit slip or anything of the sort...it's just a natural occurrence for freshly machined wood.

I left the wood in the jig for sanding. I've found it makes a handy/dandy "holder" for sanding in the round!
    Michael,

How did you come up with the 43 degree rotation?
    Steve

Okay, I tried MT's example for a barley twist on the rotary jig. The project came out really good on the computer so I am very anxious to carve it. It will probably be my first rotary project when I receive the jig in the mail.

THANKS MT!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barley Twist.jpg  
    Steve

Thanks Michael. As usual I will need time to absorb what you did. I can't wait until my jig arrives. The projects are lining up.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

For the bata testers here are a few items to try. Also for the ones when they get their jig.
    For each file download, then change the extension to STL. Current extension is so I could upload the file here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    For the bata testers here are a few items to try. Also for the ones when they get their jig.
    For each file download, then change the extension to STL. Current extension is so I could upload the file here.
    Eddie those are cool. As usual

Thanks
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Eddie,

I cant open the "twist720,pdf". The error message says there is something wrong with the file.
    Steve

Steve did you change the extension to stl? Or PM me Steve with an email and I will send the file to you.

Here is a rope made the way a real rope is made. Comes out to be about 1.3 dia, and 12" long.
    If interested in this one PM me with an email address. STL file is a little over 8Meg in size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rope.jpg  

Eddie

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast