Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: New Rotary Jig

Nice job Leo. How did you put the segments together?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Nice job Leo. How did you put the segments together?
    I drilled each one and inserted a 3 inch steel bar . Covered the joints with the brass sleeves .
    Thanks for comments.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    I drilled each one and inserted a 3 inch steel bar . Covered the joints with the brass sleeves .
    Thanks for comments.
    I'm currently designing a pepper mill for the rotary jig and I think I have figured out a way to pre-drill the holes before carving by using a "jam chuck" to plug the holes. Lathe turners use them all the time. So, I'm curious about how you drilled the holes straight enough for final assembly.
    Steve

With the baker rotary jig there is a cap that is carve. It has a hole in it so they are all the same.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I'm currently designing a pepper mill for the rotary jig and I think I have figured out a way to pre-drill the holes before carving by using a "jam chuck". Lathe turners use them all the time. So, I'm curious about how you drilled the holes straight enough for final assembly.
    Brian, aka foggycarver, has this in the works as a modification for the jig so he can do deer calls. He posted some info here already.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...688#post224688
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Brian, aka foggycarver, has this in the works as a modification for the jig so he can do deer calls. He posted some info here already.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...688#post224688
    I can turn a jam chuck on the lathe in about 15 minutes. It's just a slightly tapered compression fit that fits snuggly in the hole on one end and sticks out far enough on the other end to mount on the lathe or rotary jig. Its made out of wood so there are no concerns about accidentally hitting a metal component with the spinning bit. A double-ended one is also needed for putting the top and the bottom together so both can be carved as one piece. I've used this technique many times on the lathe and I THINK it will work on the rotary jig. Some adjustment may be needed for the extra length of the chuck unless one of the same length is used on the opposite end. I should receive my jig in the mail tomorrow and I'll do some experimenting and post some pics as soon as I have some results. Anyway, this all sounds good but, as Robert Burns once said "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]." John Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men.
    Steve

7. Default

Can someone post a picture of the drive sprocket side of the jig from the top view? I want to see if there is room for a flange say 3/8" thick behind the drive sprocket.

Just watch the jig set up video. There is really no room between the drive sprocket and plate. Besides there is a belt!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718